How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLTANUIS

Quick question about crickets. How much should I be feeding my beardie? I don't like buying crickets in huge amounts because they die and smell like holy hell really fast. For the month I have had her I've fed her about 25 a day, every day, and she's grown considerably but is this too much or too little? She eats veggie's (if she's in the mood) but I'm more concerned about the crickets. Suggestions?

I would suggest you consider buying and breeding dubia roaches. You'll notice that after a while crickets will get expensive, plus you've already started to experience some of the cons of crickets like the smell and the dead ones. To start off with Dubia might be expensive, but you can look here or eBay for some ready made colonies. After the initial purchase all you've got to buy is crystals to keep them hydrated and roach chow. Another alternative is making your own roach chow and even using moistened paper towels instead of buying water crystals. Beardies LOVE dubia. Dubia don't smell, or make chirping sounds and they're relatively easy to take care of once the colony is already established. Plus they have more meat to shell ratio than crickets. Do a little research and you'll find out that it's a lot better for you and your beardie. I have an established colony from which I feed three of my dragons and they love them. I still feed them crickets every once in a while along with other critters to vary their diet, but overall I'm very very glad I switched to dubia.

JLTANUIS

Original Poster
Thanks, I appreciate it. As far as the roaches I've seen multiple people mention them on here lately but haven't given them much thought. And yea crickets are starting to burn a whole in my pocket. The problem with being in high school :laughhard: And besides the smell is starting to kill me, it's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom