How much should I be feeding?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I could really use some help here! I got my dragon a few days ago and I'm not sure how many crickets I should be feeding him. I was researching and saw that young ones should be fed as much as they will eat in 10-15 minutes. The thing is, I am really not sure how old mine is... it is about 9 inches long (estimation). He is very active and explores around his tank but I can see wrinkles in his skin.. I drop water with an eyedropper on his nose but he doesn't always drink it so I'm not sure if it is dehydration.. an alternative way to hydrate would be GREATLY appreciated! Anyway, I'm feeding about 10 crickets a day along with greens that he always eats. I'm beginning to think I'm underfeeding but I just want to be 100% sure and I really need to know how many crickets to feed him each day. He doesnt seem lethargic or anything.. Please help! I want the best for the little guy <3 :?

P.S. He tries to lick everything if that means anything..

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The young beardies need plenty of protein, so yes, it is correct to feed them all the live feeders they can eat in a 10-15 minute period of time. They should be fed like this 2-3 times a day, along with fresh veggies daily.
They also need Calcium dusted on their feeders 5 x a week(only one feeding per day) and a Multivitamin dusted on their feeders 2 x a week(only one feeding per day).
You can hydrate your beardie by soaking/bathing them. Put just enough warm water in a sink/container up to the depth of his armpits. Allow him to soak for 15-20 minutes. Do this 3-4 times a week for good hydration. They also get moisture from their veggies. Putting a little extra water on the veggies not only helps with hydration, but also keeps them from drying out as fast in the viv.
The licking of everything is perfectly normal. This is how they explore their surroundings.
Hope this helps! :D

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
At 9 inches he'd still be a baby. So as many as he can eat in 10 minutes. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between their eyes.

A good alternative for water is giving them warm baths. Make it about elbow deep, and not too warm, about like you'd make for a baby. They can absorb water through their vents.

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
thanks! Any ideas of making bathtime "fun" ? last time he was just scratching frantically at the sides trying to escape :| I will do the 10 minute eating spree tomorrow! Also, Is it normal to have wrinkly skin? Thank you all so much!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Some wrinkles are okay. Too many can be a sign of dehydration or an underfed beardie. Just keep up the feeding and add the baths in there. I'm sure he will be fine.
Some beardies might be a little afraid of the bath. You can try putting something in the water with him, such as a washcloth, for him to grip to. You can also put a rock or something for him to climb on as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom