How much do YOU pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitehorn

Hello,

I've been wanting to get a beardie for quite awhile now. I've done loads of research and thought about it carefully. But I've been hearing rumors that it can cost up to $80 a MONTH just to feed a single beardie! This is the only thing holding me back from getting one.

I would love to get the facts and hear what you guys are paying for food a month.

Thanks!

Gail

BD.org Addict
It really depends on what you are feeding and how old the beardie is. A baby will go through a lot of insects the first 8 months or so, $80 is a fair estimate if you order bulk crickets online. You can always buy a dubia colony and raise your own feeders, it can be fairly costly at first but well worth it in the long run.

If the food bill seems like too much, look into getting a adult. They only eat 50 crickets or so a week plus greens daily. Dragons aren't a cheap pet though, you need a large cage, new UVB every 6 months, yearly check ups, supplements, fresh greens/veggies, heat bulbs and any emergency care which can cost a lot for reptiles.

DragonBeauty

Juvie Member
Hi there,

Yes, it is possible that it can cost up to that much depending on where you get your feeders from. If you buy from a pet store (which I DO NOT recommend) you will be paying out the butt for feeders and constantly going back and forth to the pet store at that. If you get your feeders from an online vendor (recommended) like Mulberryfarms.com or Reptiworms.com.....etc, you can buy in bulk, store your feeders, and have them delivered.

Hope this helped.

Elitehorn

Original Poster
DragonBeauty":1yd6wcha said:
Hi there,

Yes, it is possible that it can cost up to that much depending on where you get your feeders from. If you buy from a pet store (which I DO NOT recommend) you will be paying out the butt for feeders and constantly going back and forth to the pet store at that. If you get your feeders from an online vendor (recommended) like Mulberryfarms.com or Reptiworms.com.....etc, you can buy in bulk, store your feeders, and have them delivered.

Hope this helped.

How much do you normally pay to feed your dragon though?

DragonBeauty

Juvie Member
Elitehorn":5d7k1pdg said:
DragonBeauty":5d7k1pdg said:
Hi there,

Hope this helped.

Im about in the $50-$60 range and that includes all my veggies. My Dragon's staple is Reptiworms and I order from Reptiworms.com.

Elitehorn

Original Poster
DragonBeauty":l1h97cf0 said:
Elitehorn":l1h97cf0 said:
DragonBeauty":l1h97cf0 said:
Hi there,

Hope this helped.

Im about in the $50-$60 range and that includes all my veggies. My Dragon's staple is Reptiworms and I order from Reptiworms.com.

Well that's not as bad as $80 haha.

Thank you!

DragonBeauty

Juvie Member
Elitehorn":vhnof6kx said:
DragonBeauty":vhnof6kx said:
Elitehorn":vhnof6kx said:
DragonBeauty":vhnof6kx said:
Hi there,

Hope this helped.

Well that's not as bad as $80 haha.

Thank you!

I know right......LOL!!! Your welcome! :wink:

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Harley is almost 3 months old and a walking stomach. She usually eats about 20 dubias, 10 phoenix worms and about 3-7 pieces of greens a day. So I go through 600 dubias($63), 300 phoenix worms($33) and then greens and roach food till my colony gets going($30) a month so in all, about $120 and that's with ordering the roaches and worms and buying the other stuff from Organic food stores. And that's not factoring in hornworms, butter worms and silkworms when she gets a little older....but I do spoil her rotten :D

I have a 7 month old beardie and I just rescued a year old beardie with a roach colony that is now just starting to produce enough to feed off of some so we spend $65 for 1000 1/4- 5/8 inch roaches a month,$20 for butterworms,$10 waxworms,$10 superworms,$10-$30 a month on greens,fruits and veggies.And I personally buy a gallon of water as I don't offer the boys tap water to drink,but that is just me.And I'm sure I am forgetting something,lol..
But you also need to budget in the increase of your electric bill and a rainy day fund for vet visits,meds.

USCgrad

About 70 every two months feeding two large dragons and two babies...you find killer savings on Facebook...it's crazy I'm visit the feeder and dragon classifieds everyday and I will never buy retail again lol...

Can you guys link to some of the places you get crickets and such? I order my Phoenix worms straight from them but I want to order crickets and stuff online too. Links to the Facebook peoples would be appreciated too :)

I have a 9wk old baby. Every 2 week we order a new box of crickets. So hes eating about 250 3wk crickets per 2 weeks. It costs $10 where as if you buy the small containers of 100 we have to pay $8. So we save literally $10 everytime we get the bulk box. We purchase this from the breeder as well as we pay $1.50 for a salad made for beardies. It last about a week feeding a 4yo beardie and my baby beardie.

USCgrad

a guy just won 1000 supers for 9 bucks..and another about 900 dubias for 30...i really cant see how people pay retail when established vendors have deals like this on facebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom