how many super/morio worms for an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
My madame is nearing two years old, so Ive been shifting her from a mainly protein diet to mainly veggies, but ive been guestimating the appropriate amount.

She'll always devour her salad but I was wondering how many superworms (morioworms) I should be feeding her per week, and on what schedule?
At the moment im doing a day of veg then a day of veg and bugs etc.

Please let me know any rough guidelines you may have x

Jess

Extreme Poster
About 30 super worms a week is good. :) I feed 7 supers every other day, but you can space it out however you like. I like have some salad-only days betweet worm days though, so my beardie will actually be hungry enough to eat some veggies!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Are you feeding the superworms as a staple? These should really be feed as a secondary feeder. Superworms are chitness and low in calcium. The chitness shell can build up in the digestive tract casuing a blockage. So really you shoudl only be feed 30 per month if that. Most people only give them as a treat and feed either crickets or roaches as a main staple. I highly reccomend Rusty red roaches becuase they dont have the probability of parasites as crickets do. I bought some over 1 year ago and I have never had to buy feers since. They have multiplyed and I have a great colony going. Ihtought they woudl go dormant for the winter, but I kept them warm and they made it through just fine! I have save hundreds of $$ investing in them.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
BTW that ratio is good 30-40 feeders per week...but again it should be with roaches or crickets. Also, for forgot to mention Pheonix worms are a good staple also, these can be fed all the time.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
i don't have anything to add, but i just had to say that when i first saw the title of this thread, i thought it said "super mario worms", lol.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Alas such is the problem. I struggle getting other worm feeders in being in england because the suppliers are so dodgey.
Ive been trying to make up for using the morios as a staple by "flushing" the monsters out with apple sauce and hot baths every week.
If that still seems like a bad idea I'll have to do more investigating to try and find a more solid supplier.
xx

Jess

Extreme Poster
I use supers as a staple, and I dont have problem with them. As long as your beardie is an adult over 16", they wont get impacted. They have alot more meat and protien than crickets, and as long as you dust them their calcium levels wont be an issue. :D

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I use supers as a staple as well and have never had a problem. I give 30-35/week depending on the size of the dragon and their activity level. Nutso Bob gets more worms than laid back Miss Chloe, for example. :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Holly, I use supers as a staple and have never had a problem... 30-50 a week is sufficient. Rex, who is 6 y.o., gets between 30-35 a week, where as Bligg, who is 14 months, gets between 70-100 a week. They do get the ocassional butterworms and hornworms as well. :wink:

EDIT: I should have been more specific with that 30-50 feeders a week. You should try and stay at the lower end of the scale for worms(30-40 a week). The higher number(50) is more for adults that eat crickets, due to them not being as meaty as worms.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Thanks for the imput guys! I was under the impression for quite some time that they can sorta build up in the gut no matter what age and should be fed as a treat. Thanks for settin me straight, its been a while since ive been on here and things change all the time :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Judah'sHuman":27mpx2de said:
Thanks for the imput guys! I was under the impression for quite some time that they can sorta build up in the gut no matter what age and should be fed as a treat. Thanks for settin me straight, its been a while since ive been on here and things change all the time :D
That's okay... it can be very hard to keep up with what is good and what is bad for beardies anymore. Like you said things change all the time.
BTW... if I didn't live in Florida, I would be trying the Rusty Reds. There is another member on here who swears by those things.. says her beardies just love them!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I bet they would go wild living in Florida with the temps right? You would end up with so many roaches you could sell them! :D I thought for sure they were going to go dormant because the breeders always run out in fall winter. But I just kept a heating pad under the tank and I had no change at all. They are SO much better than the crickets, less mess, less smell and way more cost effective. We also tried Pheonix worms but he doent digest them..loves um but they dont digest... total waste of money, for us anyways. :roll:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys ^_^

One more though. Do I ration them out to a certain number of bugs a day or do as i have been doing, which is a day off then a day on etc?
Or is that one just a personal choice x

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I usually feed Judah his feeders every other day, sometimes he wont eat any so its every 2 days. If you want to feed her a few everyday that works also. If she wants them she will eat them :D

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I'll inform Miso of this right away. She makes me feel like i starve her the way she throws herself at the glass when I bring out the worms.
Little minx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom