how many geckos in 40gal

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
How many geckos can be kept in a 40 gallon breeder tank? can 4? I have 3 in it and (all females) they seem to be doing fine. My friend is moving and wants me to take her gecko, she can't keep it and just lost interest in it. I already have one adopted gecko haha. I want to take it if it won't be too stressful to the other 3

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
As long as there all about the same size they should be fine. Just make sure you have multiple hides and just keep an eye on them so there is no dominence issues. I keep 1.3 groups in roughly the same size enclosures with out problems. The usual rule is 10 gal per leo. Hope this helps.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I agree with both Tom and Pat... I have 6 females all of a size in a 55 gallon. No issues and they've been housed together now for almost a year.
Janie

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
One more thing... What is considered similar sized? like within what range? I want to make sure I don't make a mistake and have him end up being too small...

Thanks,
Sara

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
I try to keep them within 10 grams of each other or they are roughly the same size appearence wise. You just want to make sure that they all are getting to eat and that one (usually the biggest one) is not preventing a smaller one from getting food, or becoming aggresive towards the younger individual. If you feed them individually will help make sure they all get to eat. You just want to make sure that you dont have one that is dominating the others... hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom