How many adult dubia do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Since were talking numbers, i have about 6k in adult females and about 700-800 males... i think he was looking for a general calculation that he could use... The equation i use and the assumptions i go off of are:

1. Each adult female produces 20 a month (low estimate)
2. Each female will generally give birth every other month (rough estimate, since i want to say that they cannot become pregnate right after they give birth).
3. Nymps will take roughly 1 month to grow 1/2 inch (in optimal conditions)

with this information i can assume the equation:

Ideal production = # of females X 20
real production = Ideal production / 2

i guess a simple equation would be take the number required per month divide by 20 and mutiply by 2, this would give you a rough estimate of how many you would need per month.you also have to try and project out how long / how many you are going to consume per month since if you feed off all the smalls you will not have any left to mature into mediums or larges.

These are all just assumptions since i don't have the time or effort to actually run the experiment on individual females.

but in anycase, i hoped this may have helped a slight bit, i took out the time to write this since i am one of the people you have bought from a few times... i do appreicate the business and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me through PM or my email address.

take it easy,
Kyle

simpleman

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks kyle, i appreciate it... yeah i was looking for the number of females, and man 6k is alot... i have 140 right now and they produce enough to feed my 5 dragons and 4 geckos, but not nearly enough to sell... one question though, do females produce as often as they can throughout their life? i thought i read somewhere that they will only produce x amount of times? thanks for your time... and i will be ordering from you soon...take care...

craig morel

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
simpleman":1tjd8buf said:
thanks kyle, i appreciate it... yeah i was looking for the number of females, and man 6k is alot... i have 140 right now and they produce enough to feed my 5 dragons and 4 geckos, but not nearly enough to sell... one question though, do females produce as often as they can throughout their life? i thought i read somewhere that they will only produce x amount of times? thanks for your time... and i will be ordering from you soon...take care...

craig morel

when i had 140 females and only 2 dragons to feed i had way to many.. except i went a lil expansion happy and now i have 14 dragons and 18 tubs of roaches....=T, my gf was a lil upset but oh wells she <3's me.

In regards to this i am not sure.... my production doesn't really seem to drop but then again with so many its hard to tell... i would say your best bet is to try and establish a type of rotation with introducing new females as old ones die off.

I look forward to the next order, just contact me via email and ill take care of u,
Kyle

RowenJade

Juvie Member
I also have been wondering about this. Didn't want to make my own new thread when this one was up. I have right now 4 adult females and one adult male, roughly 200 1/2" nymphs, and 20 adult females and 7 males + 200 mixed on their way next week. (thru Kyle who has been wonderful about packing nicely during our rough winter here!!) So in total will have 24 adult females, 8 males, 200 mixed, and 200 1/2" nypmhs.

How many months do you think it will take before I should start feeding my two 2 1/2 month old beardies?

Also I don't know what wattage to use...will a 75w red bulb in a 18 gallon container be too much? Right now I have 2 tubs, one is for smaller nymphs and the other is for bigger nymphs and adults, and the temp almost near the top of the container is about 88 right now with a 60w red bulb. I would like it to be a little hotter in there. Tonight I'm going to try keeping the heating pad under both and see how that goes :roll: I'd like to have the temps as close to 95* as possible.

Any suggestions?

RowenJade

Juvie Member
Update from 5 minutes ago...I put some towels over the bins and that brought the temps up to 90.9*. Will they breed faster at 95 or should I not worry about getting another bulb? And I don't remember if I asked if a 75 w red bulb would be too much...

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
RowenJade":18s74jfb said:
Update from 5 minutes ago...I put some towels over the bins and that brought the temps up to 90.9*. Will they breed faster at 95 or should I not worry about getting another bulb? And I don't remember if I asked if a 75 w red bulb would be too much...

i wouldn't be to concerned about it... as long as they are above 80 they will do just fine... they are a tropical species, not a roach that lives in the desert... i keep the surface temps of my bins around 92... inside the bin it ranges from about 90 - 75 depending on the ambient temps and how far up the stack it goes.

-Kyle

RowenJade

Juvie Member
h0ndap0w3r":2ypgdab2 said:
RowenJade":2ypgdab2 said:

i wouldn't be to concerned about it... as long as they are above 80 they will do just fine... they are a tropical species, not a roach that lives in the desert... i keep the surface temps of my bins around 92... inside the bin it ranges from about 90 - 75 depending on the ambient temps and how far up the stack it goes.

-Kyle

Thanks!!! You can disregard that email lolol. I told my friend God help us were tucking in our roaches at night :roll:

I just separated them out, I do have 2 18 gallon buckets with 1/2 holes drilled but since there are only 4 females and one male that are adults right now I just picked them up with a rubber glove. I guess I squeezed it when I picked it up or it just didn't like me cuz its legs pushed me so hard I screamed lol. Then when I was washing beardie dishes in the kitchen my husband walked up behind me and I was just thinking about roaches and I screamed again lol. He looked at me like WTF?? lol

They're so interesting...but not when I'm touching them >_<

RowenJade

Juvie Member
That brings me to another pointless sissy question...if I throw it cuz I get scared of it can I hurt it? and how do you properly handle these guys? I'm terrified of holding them but I wish we had more to watch.

Oh and is kiwi fruit and mango okay for them? That's the only fruit we had besides some grapes I found that I wasn't sure were good or not...yea the humans in this house would prefer to have mc donald's every day and the fridge is just for the beardie food. Any fruits/veggies we get for us usually go bad unless the beardies get it lol

dedc369

Hatchling Member
when i had 140 females and only 2 dragons to feed i had way to many.. except i went a lil expansion happy and now i have 14 dragons and 18 tubs of roaches....=T, my gf was a lil upset but oh wells she <3's me.

In regards to this i am not sure.... my production doesn't really seem to drop but then again with so many its hard to tell... i would say your best bet is to try and establish a type of rotation with introducing new females as old ones die off.

I look forward to the next order, just contact me via email and ill take care of u,
Kyle[/quote]
holy cow 18 tubs for 14 dragons u must have a ton of extra

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
dedc369":1mvitqn2 said:

Kyle
holy cow 18 tubs for 14 dragons u must have a ton of extra[/quote]

Yup its how i pay my rent... haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom