How Long to Settle In?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I got new (to me) beardie on Tuesday. He's 7 months old and came to me directly from the breeder. The first day I had him, he ate quite a bit, but hasn't eaten a ton since then. He also still has his stress marks and seems to be terribly afraid of me. I only handle him for feedings and baths (he's shedding right now) and really try to stay away from him and out of the room the rest of the time so I don't cause him any extra stress. How long should it take for him to get settled in and less stressed? I know some of his stress could be due to his shed. Yesterday his whole back finally shed off, but he's still got active shedding at the base of his tail and along his sides. I'm so anxious to bond with him, but I know I need to give him his space for right now.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
I would put a worn t-shirt him that has your scent on it. He will be cranky while he is shedding, but it's ok to be around him and let him get used to you. Put your hand in his viv on the other side and just let him get used to you. Give him a bath and it will help the shedding. In the evening, when he is sleepy, burrito wrap him in the shirt and hold him to your chest while your sitting or laying down. This will help him bond to you. Just takes time, be patient.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I said he wasn't eating much and then I tried feeding him crickets in his feeding bin after work. He was having none of that, so I tried hand feeding him crickets one at a time in his viv and he ate 113 of them! I hope I'm not going to have to keep hand feeding him, since that's a ton of work, but I guess it gave us a bit of a chance to bond and at least he's eating!

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
My beardie is 7 months and lazy as hell. He figured out a couple months ago that if he just stands there, the crickets eventually come to him. He will not chase them, and if he is not in the mood to eat, he will just sit there and close his eyes letting them crawl all over them. So after a couple minutes, I take him out of his feeding viv and try again later. But if I hand feed him, he will almost always take it. It's like an attitude game or something.

I make sure he always has greens to eat.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
SeanFred":2apxrgxc said:
My beardie is 7 months and lazy as hell. He figured out a couple months ago that if he just stands there, the crickets eventually come to him. He will not chase them, and if he is not in the mood to eat, he will just sit there and close his eyes letting them crawl all over them. So after a couple minutes, I take him out of his feeding viv and try again later. But if I hand feed him, he will almost always take it. It's like an attitude game or something.

I make sure he always has greens to eat.

.... i think you have my beardie.
or his brother.
Mr Dargon does the exact same thing. He figured out at a very young age to just sit at the corner of the viv and wait. now he looks at the food then at me like "seriously? i'm over here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom