How long has your beardie gone without eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Mister Charlie, now I suppose almost 2 years old (acquired in October, as a 12", 20 gram 1+ year old, now 17 inches and last weighed around 500 grams has eaten virtually nothing since December/January. He has a clean fecal prior to entering semi-brumation, he is awake now, has lost very little weight, but wants nothing to do with salad, dubia, supers, butter worms or even wax worms. I keep offering, mostly salad, and a bug every few days which he habitually refuses. Every week I give him some squash baby food with calcium and multi vitamins mixed in and he gets baths every week or two as well. His lights are back on full time, 14 hours a day, and he has a brand new repti sun, accurite thermometer just had a battery change, so temps are spot on. I am more frustrated than worried, since his body condition is fine, and he still has considerable fat stores, but I was just wondering if anyone else has a human torturer hanging out in their house.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can see why you would be worried, that is a long time. As big as he is, he must have been a big eater before this happened. I've had dragons sleep in a heavy brumation for 4 months with no food [ I now wake them at 3 months for my own peace of mind, just my preference ] but none have gone on hunger strikes for that long. You might increase the baths to 3-4 times a week, even letting him swim for exercise + stimulation. Does he get much exercise ? At 17", 500 grams he could stand to get down to 350 -400. Sometimes letting them run to their hearts content [ and outside, too, if possible ] can help stimulate appetite. If you can get a blood panel done, you might see if there's anything amiss.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Blood work is definitely not in the financial cards unless he starts showing symptoms in addition to his anorexia, or starts losing weight. He gets to run around every day, but HATES outside, and will turn black and become virtually comatose and obviously miserable for days after even a short trip. He likes car rides though, as long as he is covered on the trip to and from the car...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I have had beardies that are terrified outsde, too. They do just seem to shrink back in horror and want to hide for a day or two, silly things. But I don't really know Charlie's problem could be at all, at least he's not losing lots of weight. I know that going for a long time with no food can cause some problems, even fatty liver, but since he's taking baby food hopefully that won't be the case. I would try more baths or oral hydration, though, to be sure his kidneys continue to function properly. I hope he snaps out of it soon !

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. I am trying daily baths, and he is taking some fruit on his own, some thin slices pr grape and apple. I think he's just a jerk who likes to see me squirm and try to hand feed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom