how long does brumation usually last?

zazo

My bearded dragon has been in brumation for nearly 3 months, and this is her first brumation. She's almost 1 year old now. During this time, she appears to be in a deep sleep with her eyes closed, taking refuge in her cave. However, she does open her eyes when she hears noise. Despite her extended rest, she doesn't seem to be losing weight and looks healthy.

I occasionally wake her up to offer some water by dripping it onto her nose, and she drinks then returns back to her hide to sleep. Are there any additional steps I should be taking? How long does brumation typically last? Is there any way to encourage her to wake up?

Thank you for any advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon has been in brumation for nearly 3 months, and this is her first brumation. She's almost 1 year old now. During this time, she appears to be in a deep sleep with her eyes closed, taking refuge in her cave. However, she does open her eyes when she hears noise. Despite her extended rest, she doesn't seem to be losing weight and looks healthy.

I occasionally wake her up to offer some water by dripping it onto her nose, and she drinks then returns back to her hide to sleep. Are there any additional steps I should be taking? How long does brumation typically last? Is there any way to encourage her to wake up?

Thank you for any advice.
I have heard no longer than 3 months- some people differ on this -

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
The time differs between dragons and also the age.
What are your temps, how do you take them and for how many hours do you keep the lights on?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Too long in my opinion. We get attached to them then they disappear on us. But remember it's natural for them so allow this process to take place (says the person who cried like a baby)- it gets better. Try not to disturb them if possible- there's no set timeframe.
I journaled it so I would be ready this year and Rocky went down a little earlier. He came out a little sooner but now he's down again. I have to let him do his thing. Like you, I check his weight, monitor him. Health is key. This is a far cry (literally) from last year. Hang in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom