How long did it take for your Beardie to get used to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
divinedimension":gt2mjsfn said:
Phoebe":gt2mjsfn said:
Wow you're lucky then, my Vegeta was very nervous of us for the first week. And as for 4 years eeek that's quite a while! haha hopefully if i keep doing this everynight he will grow to love me ^_^
Just a quick question to any of you guys, he's asleep in the tea towel and I think it's time to put him to bed in his Viv now, is it ok to leave him wrapped up in the tea towel and leave it in with him to sleep in? Or should I not? Thanks for all your help everyone

No it was weird girl..dude at pet store handed him to me and I was like "Dude he's cool" and he stared at me like "Cool" and did not try to move. Guy at pet store asked me to cover him up with my hand but I knew he wouldn't run. And he didn't never has. Put him outside totally different story. Runs all over the place. But in the house he's king and has been since babyhood. Sits on my shoulder, sleeps in my hand, lets me feed him by hand. He's the king and he knows it..spoiled rotten. Tea towel. Hmm. I'd say not but I'm not sure.

This is one thing that works..talk to them a lot. Me and my kids constantly talk to him. I have a very soft soothing voice and I think this helps him.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Goin on 2 years with Chica being a psycho....thats why i named her Chica lol. Bubba only took 1 day. My recommendation is at night when your gonna watch a movie or something get him out, get a blanket and put him on your chest with the blanket over his body, kill the lights. He will fall asleep soon enough. Another good trick is the T-shirt trick. Wear a Tshirt all day and the next day give it to him as a blanket in his cage for a week or till he gets it all dirty, he will get use to your smell and eventually recoginse it as the smell of home.

But take in to account that Chica is still a Psycho.

Fallencomrade2008":3jv4xeue said:
Goin on 2 years with Chica being a psycho....thats why i named her Chica lol. Bubba only took 1 day. My recommendation is at night when your gonna watch a movie or something get him out, get a blanket and put him on your chest with the blanket over his body, kill the lights. He will fall asleep soon enough. Another good trick is the T-shirt trick. Wear a Tshirt all day and the next day give it to him as a blanket in his cage for a week or till he gets it all dirty, he will get use to your smell and eventually recoginse it as the smell of home.

AWWW did you try picking Chica up when you purchased her to check and see if she was calm? That's such a tough one.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
It really depends on your beardie...when I brought Sarth home I left him alone for a couple days, then tried to hold him at least a few minutes a day and started increasing his handling time, but he was never skittish or scared at all.

Phoebe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info everyone. Vegeta is getting better at being handled already although I have only done it when he's sleepy, but none the less he will happily sleep on me now so I'm happy! And since I started letting him sleep in his tea towel he sleeps a lot better, he used to be wide awake when I got up but now he tries to sleep all day, cheeky monkey.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
divinedimension":15tmrixl said:
Fallencomrade2008":15tmrixl said:

AWWW did you try picking Chica up when you purchased her to check and see if she was calm? That's such a tough one.

Yes, and she was glad to see me. She was a craigslist rescue. The mother of the family was B......She told me not to pick her up because she bites and runs. Poor baby just sat in my hand with no complaints like please save me. Had her ever since. I would love tokeep her forever but i have been looking for a good family to sell her to now that she is healthy and has a proper set up. I'm not trying too hard though lol.

ocrage

Hatchling Member
pretty much instantly. the breeder was showing me a whole bunch of different baby's, leatherbacks, hypo trans, citrus, all sorts, and he grabbed my guy and checked his sex and said he was about 2 months old, and he had some great red coloring which i really wanted so he went to try to grab him again and he was running away, then when he grabbed him he still didnt want to stop, but then he put him in my hand and he calmed down instantly and just looked at me. i instantly said i wanted him and that was that. the second day i had him he watched tv with me for like 45 mins, then slowly i would let him run around my desk more and more and eventually it just became almost natural and ive barely had him over 3 weeks. now he sleeps on me every night if he can until its time for him to go in his viv, or he just likes to hang out outside his viv wherever he finds a good view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom