How important is visiting a vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmain

Juvie Member
Like we all know most vets don't know a whole lot about bearded dragons (which I kinda don't expect them to know to much about reptiles since they don't see them a whole bunch.) But how often should I bring mine to a vet (if I can find one that I trust that they know what they are doing.)

Thanks

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
If your husbandry is top notch, then only for an annual visit. Every 6 months for a fecal ( you don't need to bring baby with you for that). If you plan to breed, then you will need a visit for several tests to determine if parasites, or A. virus is present.
I have yet to take any of mine in to the vet, though I have dropped off fecal samples for testing of parasites.
I have a year old Yardley, 2- 7 month olds, Orion and Gemini.
Janie.

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just got mine on Tuesday but the pets store said they think hes a few weeks old. I don't plan on breeding or any of that I plan on just having one for now.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
As I said, if your husbandry is top notch, you shouldn't have any issues. Have you gone over your enclosure and lighting, temps, substrates, thermometers, diet with anyone here ?
We can spot even little things, and get those corrected quickly.
Janie.

jmain

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have posted the and my biggest concern which we have talked about mainly is my night time temps I cant get them below 85-90 degrees but I even added a fan to the room to try to cool it down but I have it facing a wall so it circulates air but doesn't blow cold air on the tank. I use reptiglo 5.0 I run it all day with my 50watt bulb (usually turn on day lights at 6am and turn off at 8pm) The hottest I have found my tank to be is around 101 but where my beardie is the most is usually only around 97-98 I put a digital therom where he lays the most found him laying on it even at one point and that was at about 97.5 when I found him on top of it. I feed around 35-40 crickets a day (I'm wondering if this could be part of him only pooping once a day because pets mart only fed 3-4 adult crickets a day to the tank and there is 3 of the beardies in the tank) Also give greens and other stuff some of the things I have fed so far are turnip greens (only thing I have noticed him to eat and that was this morning) yellow squash (mix at night with the turnip greens) cantalope, strawberries and green bell peppers but don't think he even touched anything besides the little turnip greens i witnessed today. Anything else ask but I think thats here is a picture of the tank also
l_ea72943712144cf9adabe2b8a2ebc6c6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom