How exactly does a lay box work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Ok so from my other thread of active and peeing, looks like my 4 year old beardie girl is going to lay eggs. So i guess i need a lay box but I'm not sure exactly how it works. I read the thread of setting one up but do i just put my beardie in there and leave her there for a few days? Or do i put her in for a couple hours and then back into her house? I'm assuming the lay box is just a 66 qt bin with about 6 inches of packed down moist play sand with a heat lamp above and nothing else? Should my beardie just start digging down and making a tunnel and then go in and lay eggs? Sorry, never had to deal with this as i have boas and retics and only 1 beardie and she has never been like this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I replied on your original thread with instructions . The sand should be about 10 " -12" deep in order for her to dig a tunnel by the way. Here is an alternative smaller laying box that I've used by placing directly in the large enclosure. It's about 22" L by 15" W by 8" H.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Awesome. So I'm guessing you just packed it to the top with the sand and then notched out a corner and started a little tunnel and put the lid on? I like that idea as it would be easier to just leave her in her cage and let her go in there and dig on her own instead of having to move her from her cage to a lay box every hour. Also this is in reference of my other thread so i dont have to keep bouncing back and forth; how long would it take her to lay eggs? I mean if i put her in a lay box, do i just leave her there for a few hours and then check on her and if she is digging, then I'm good to go and if she is just sitting there, put her back in the cage and try again in an hour?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, with a larger lay box you would put her in + check on her every 1-2 hrs, to see if she's digging. If she's digging you can let her be but if she's just trying to get out for hours or just sitting there give her a break + put her back in her home. Some of them fuss around for a while before they really get down to business. :)

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok so i made this for her. It's a 66 qt tub. Does this look big enough?
35228305366_02b4ad1c49_h.jpg

34425003394_30d700bafa_h.jpg

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well I've had here in there for a couple hours now and so far she just tries to get out. Not digging at all :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The fact that she's not doing anything isn't good or bad, it can be pretty typical. You can add more sand though, pile it higher on the one side and then start a tunnel by hand. Or you can put in the upside down shoebox that I mentioned to create a cave. Then put the lid partly over at least that area or completely on the laybox. As long as the room is warm she doesn't need a heat lamp shining directly in there.

Take her out for a bit, re-arrange it + put her back in an hour or 2. Sometimes beardies will randomly lay in their tank or elsewhere so just keep an eye on her. She should be fine though. :)

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well a little update, she started digging in the corner with the least amount lol. She dug a crater, sat in it for a little bit, stared at me for awhile as i have her cage and the lay box to the right of the TV, and now is just trying to get out again lol.

So i guess i just put her in and take her every few hours unless she starts digging good, then leave her? And i just take her out before lights out and put her back in her cage right? Then in morning, put her back in the lay box? BTW thanks for the help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, take her out if she's not doing any work. :) Try the upside down shoebox, beardies like privacy and it's better if she's not in a busy + noisy room.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well i went and got another bag of play sand and also picked up a bigger tub. Got one about the size of a 40 gallon breeder. It's 36x17x13 i think. Anyways, hopefully she will have more room to walk around and contemplate a good spot to dig lol.

Oh and like i asked, i take her out when lights go out and put her back in her cage on her hammock right? Or do i leave her in the lay box overnight?

And here is the new one.
35233257866_fcc26f475c_h.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you put her back in her tank to warm up about an hour before lights out. Is that box covered ? Be sure she can't get out.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah it has a the higher half covered with a lid of another tub plus the stuff on top to weigh it down so she cant push it.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well after leaving her in the big box on and off for a couple day, i found out she really hates that thing. She doesnt really move in it much and when she does move, its mostly just to scratch at the side to get out. Then she gives me the sad look when i check on her. So i ended up just doing the mini box in the cage as she loves her house. She runs around all over in her house and plays around in the sand box but still no real digging. just her glass dancing and no appetite. I gave her a soak today in her tub which she seemed to enjoy.

Anyways, my question is how long does it take to lay infertile eggs? Can she absorb them? It's been over a week now and nothing. She doesnt seem to be doing mini poops and pees as often but maybe thats because she hasnt eaten in over a week? She is still happy colors and overall looks much happier in her house with the mini sand box than in the big sandbox alone. Heres the mini box. I piled up one side and started a little tunnel for her but like i said, she isnt really interested in digging and more just jumps in the play around and crush the tunnel.
35272282226_fba19a6123_h.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lol, she looks super smug there after getting you to jump through so many hoops. And now a big sandbox to play in at will. :D

She may still lay them, or it may be that she isn't carrying eggs at all but is just restless. I do think she will lay eggs though, so your laybox in the tank is a good idea just in case. If you have the lid, cut a corner out of it like I did to the laybox in my picture and put the lid on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom