How do the vets treat broken bones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
I took in two new rescues tonight. You can see the photo album of them here: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q83/s720x720/1510862_10152178368537363_1173501991_n.jpg

There are a couple of places that I know or suspect broken bones. How will the vet treat this and what can I do to help?

Poseidon has a broken left back ankle or maybe it's sprained or dislocated, but it's definitely injured:

1011207_10152178368607363_2016461297_n.jpg

1487283_10152178368762363_2113349192_n.jpg

Aphrodite has a broken "thumb" on her front left foot:

1535568_10152178369022363_628811121_n.jpg

I can't remember which one, but here is another toe that I think is mangled too.

Aphrodite is missing three toes on one foot, but I think that probably happened when she was a baby.

I appreciate the info. It will help me know what to expect when I go to the vet with them tomorrow.

~Shelby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Treating smaller broken bones is pretty difficult. A lot of times they will simply tape them to the toe next to them to keep them from moving.
On the larger bones they will use a toothpick or popsicle stick to set it with tape/gauge around it.

The ankle is swollen. Hopefully it isn't anything like gout, either.
How are they doing this evening?

Tracie

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I hope it isn't anything like gout too. The very thought scares me. I don't know enough about how to tell the difference between an injured joint and gout. But when I felt it and moved it around he pulled away from me. It was obvious that it hurt.

We got home pretty late, so we didn't have too much time to observe them. Basically got them cleaned up, fed them a few veggies and put them to bed. I'll have more information tomorrow for sure.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have no idea what to expect. This is my first time with broken anything.

~Shelby

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Uhg...It's going to hurt her when they try to straighten that toe out and tape it to the other won't it? I have no idea how long it's been that way. :(

~Shelby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shelby,

The fingers are definitely broken or at least that one is, as it is bent over so much. Yes, it wont feel good at all to set them & straighten them when taping together. The ankle I am not positive on.
There is no telling how long those areas have been in that shape. It is so sad to have that happen as she has been in pain for awhile.
The vet will probably want to x-ray though just to see the extent of injuries, etc.
Hopefully it wont be gout, but it is treatable.

Keep us posted on them both.

Tracie

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, it turns out that Poseidon has Septic Arthritis. This is usually caused by bacteria that is introduced to the blood stream through trauma. Poor guy. So he's on antibiotics for 3 weeks and then we will take him back to the vet to have another X Ray done to make sure the medicine is effective.

It has attacked pretty much all of his wrists, ankles, , etc. The damage can't really be reversed, but we need to stop the infection so it doesn't continue. The vet said if we hadn't gotten him when we had, that he would have either died within a couple of months or had to be put down because the damage would have been too severe to help him.

I'll post some updated pics of him. You should see him hobbling around it's like a giant limp. He basically has to limp on every leg. He's LOVING his baths. I'm also ordering some Serrapeptase for him. I gave him some reptiboost as well.

I'll keep you posted on his recovery.

~Shelby

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to mention that when I reviewed the pics I thought the broken toe was on Aphrodite, but it was also on Poseidon. So all of the broken/swollen bones are on him.

I'm not seeing much different yet, but he's only been on the meds since Monday. I really need to pick up some pro-biotics to help him out. He really is a sweet boy, he's just really hurt at the moment. I pray that this IS caused by bacteria. Otherwise there is the possibility that it's fungal, and in 3 weeks when we x ray again it will be 3 weeks WORSE instead of getting better.

I'll keep you posted.

~Shelby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, that is terrible septic arthritis, poor thing! I am sure that is not comfortable for him at all.
Do you have his basking area fairly low so he doesn't have to climb much?
I hope the meds are not too hard on him, either.
Hopefully it will turn out not to be fungal & just bacterial! I am glad you got him when you did.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have him in a quarantine tank which is smaller. 3 foot by 18 inches deep and 18 inches tall. So he can be under his basking light perfectly without climbing on anything. I do have his log tunnel in there because he loves to sleep under it, but it's on the cool side.

I feel like some of his swelling is getting worse, and for sure he seems to be feeling worse. But I'm sure he's also going through relocation stress. He's so sweet. I'm very worried about him right now.

~Shelby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, it sounds like he is hanging in there.
Your setup is fine then since he doesn't have to climb to bask then.
The swelling has gotten an bit worse right now?
Is he eating anything for you?
I hope he gets to feeling better soon.....

Tracie

ShelbyLu

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The swelling is definitely worse than the pics from the day we got him. He is not eating much. I've also taken some baby food and mixed in vitamins and repti-boost, etc. He's not loving that.

We can get him to eat some super worms the best. And he doesn't have to work to get them like he does with Dubias. I'm sincerely worried for him.

~Shelby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shelby,

Poor guy. At least he is eating some superworms though since they are easier for him to get.
He doesn't like the baby food & repti-boost?
I hope he is feeling better & the swelling goes down soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom