How do people respond to your dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamiLynne

Hatchling Member
Aw.. just had to weigh in on this. The most annoying comment I've gotten: "Eiiwww is that a frog?" I wanted to hit her. lol. But for the most part, people are fascinated. My snakes, well, they get a lot more hatred. Beardies have the advantage of being one of the cuter reptiles. My favorite is my boyfriend's mother, who is a native of Peru transplanted to the US in her teens, so.. she has a completely different view of "pets" in general. She loves to proclaim how "He is so freaking AWARE!" haha Well yes, he has eyes and ears and likes to know what's going on doesn't he? Most folks don't equate reptiles with mammals as far as being involved with their environment, and seeking attention. We all know with BDs that's what they do, but to others it can be quite a shock when they actually WANT to be near you. Now the uncles (boyfriend's mother's brothers) call him their "lizard nephew" and are constantly asking how he is, and when I'm going to breed him so they can have babies. ::eyeroll::

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
The ladies at the local pet store LOVE my 2 beardies. There have been a few times that I have to leave them home when I go up there that I have had to leave them home and they always ask,where are the babies? I have taken mine to car cruise ins,school,to the park and most of the time it's wonderful but here are my favorite reaction:
OH look at the iguana! To which I reply he/she (depending on which one I have with me) is not an iguana but a bearded dragon.............
Is that thing real? Which makes me want to say...no I still carry around toys as old as I am....But I always explain yes my baby is real and we love him/her very much and after finding out how to car for them and having them I wouldn't want any other kind of pet.
Does it breathe fire?(favorite question from children)
One lady after I explained what my female dragon was, evidently didn't hear the full responce and was selling dragon statues, said "It's amazing that after all these years they finally bred these things small enough to have as pets.LOLOLOL
And finally(from a very sweet little girl who had tears in her eyes) Ma'am is it gonna hurt when her wings grow out? I gently got down on my knees and explained to her that this wasn't a flying dragon so she would not grow wings......I thought she was so sweet.
Oh and then there are the men...........I have never seen grown men react with so much fear and mistrust.........absolutely squeemish........The looks on their faces are about like the little monkey pictured above. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom