How do I heat my tank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott89

I began setting up my tank a few weeks ago for a bearded dragon that I am going to buy in the near future. I've done a lot of research about the ideal conditions of a viv.
On one side, the tank should be around 85 degrees and on the other side there should be a spot that gets near 100 degrees. I have a 36" UVB ReptiSun 10 on one side and then sitting on top of the screen i have a dome fixture with a 100W zoomed heating lamp.
All I did is place it on top of the screen... The fluorescent is placed within the tank velcroed to the wall.

When I turned on the whole setup, the inside of the tank didn't change temperatures at all except for near the heating lamp on the right side. What should I do to get the correct temperatures? Buy more lights? What fixtures/wattage? Where should I place them? How is your tank set up?

IMG00105-20101005-1826 by scott_89, on Flickr

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
scott89":3h5ryzjp said:
. What should I do to get the correct temperatures?
You should throw away those dial thermometers you have in your tank. If there is a Walmart near you, you can pick up a really great digital thermometer for about $12.

You want a digital thermometer with a probe so that you can measure the actual basking spot.
If you are getting a baby beardie, temps should look like this: Cool side, 80-ish. Warm side, 90-ish. Basking spot, 105-110.

There is no way you will ever get an accurate reading of either of those 3 locations with a dial thermometer. They can be off by as much as 20+ degrees. And when you think about it, they are basically. measuring the temperature of the glass and the air around the glass.

Get a digital with a probe, test those 3 areas, and then if your temps are still off we can go from there.

Ps, you might want to get a a log or a rock so that your beardie can have a basking spot closer to the lamp so it can get the right temps.

-Brandon

scott89

Original Poster
lol i prob should have said I'm not done decorating the inside. I'm going to have a few branches that lead up to the hammock for sure and maybe a staircase made from small pieces of tile that I bought lol.

but yes i am fully aware that bearded dragons do not fly.

lol but could someone answer my previous question? I'd like to get some info before i just buy random lights and hope the tank heats up

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry. I must have clicked the "make my post invisible" option while I was answering your questions.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom