How do I get new beardie to enjoy being held?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago we bought our first bearded dragon, Rocky, for my 11 yr old son. He is about 6 months old, eats well and seems to be in good health. We try to handle him for only a few minutes a day and are very careful with him. My son holds him like the pet shop owner showed him - with the dragon sitting on his flat palm and holding onto his finger. Rocky seemed fine with it at first but over the last two weeks has become more and more reluctant to be picked up. Now he runs away from us if we try to pick him up and he tries to jump off of my son's hand once we catch him. Does anyone have any tips on how to get Rocky used to being held? We stroke his back. Do they not like that? Please help. We love him very much and want him to enjoy his new home. We've tried letting him eat worms out of our hand but he won't do it.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Hi! First of all....

:blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: WELCOME
TO BD.ORG!!!!! :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Second of all, I'm sorry your baby wont let you hold him/her. One of the most effective ways to get a beardie used to you is to wrap him in a blanket in what's called a beardie burrito. Another way is to put some clithing in his viv so he can get used to your smell. Another thing is, a baby bearded dragon is just like a child, they don't hold still. So don't be alarmed if he wants to explore. Just close off an area and let him run! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

-Haley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom