How can a leatherback and trans co-exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pravius

Juvie Member
I think I know the answer to this question but I wanted to see if my understanding of these genetic traits were correct. So we know that the Smoothie and the Leatherback exist in the codominant fashion. The trans gene is a recessive gene. That brings me to the question of how they can both be in their homozygous forms on a dragon at the same time?

I thought about this and the only thing that I can think of is they exist in different locus? I mean they would have to in order to be present at the same time wouldn't they?

Anyway if someone knows more about this please let me know.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
why would you think that a co-dom and a recessive trait would reside in the same locus? The only thing I can think of that would do that would be the whole BEL and pied thing in ball pythons, but that is not even 100% proven. Leatherback and Smoothie reside in the same locus which is why you can make silks with a smoothie x leatherback.

and how you make a leather/trans is simple. Leather x Trans breeding will make Leather Het trans. Breed the leather het trans back to the trans and you can make leather/trans offspring.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, to be honest I am no where near a genetics expert so I had a hard time grasping much of this at first. I work in IT! I am slowly starting to get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom