How bad is spinach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
Spinach is fine for beardies if given to them occasionally and in small amounts. They're high in Vitamin A and oxalates, so people find it questionable whether or not its a good staple. As long as there isn't too much spinach, your beardie should be fine.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Spinach will block the absorption of calcium if used on a regular basis.
I dont recommend it even in small amounts.

^^^What he said^^^
Im not much of a reader but ive read some books on beardies i had fed spinach thinking of how healthy it is for us i figured the same would go for them.
From what ive read spinach deprives them of calcium which is majorly important to them. I work at a local pet store and have been to some reptile shows and had the chance to talk with a lot of breeders and everyone has told me the same answer to steer clear of spinach. Try Kale its what mine like and they get carrots and i usually mix a fruit in for taste. Also make sure to stay away from iceberg lettuce cuz it does nothing for them as well

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Stick to greens, collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion. Kale isnt as bad as spinach but over time does the same thing.

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
I wasn't aware of that either. I guessed that since the nutrition list said that it was questionable, i thought it wouldn't be too bad if given once in a blue moon in small quantities.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I would only use it in a pinch type situation. (kale that is) Short term or once every now and then shouldnt cause problems.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
TheWolfmanTom":r6ytmj8q said:
Stick to greens, collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion. Kale isnt as bad as spinach but over time does the same thing.

Agreed! Exactly what I use... along with butternut squash, or summer squash, and occasional grapes, blueberries or watermelon...

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
lauraj1055":2gohzn0p said:
TheWolfmanTom":2gohzn0p said:

Agreed! Exactly what I use... along with butternut squash, or summer squash, and occasional grapes, blueberries or watermelon...
DITTO!!

Except I didn't even think of watermelon! Ooooh gonna love seeing how Pudgy reacts to that one. LOL Thanks for the idea.

FfelixalEx

Original Poster
Bender loves carrots, they're the only Vedgie he'll eat. I chopp them very thin so they wont impact him. They're fine for a Vedgie staple (with greens) right?

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Carrots due to their Vitamin A content should be given as treats only-not a regular part of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom