housing beardies together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheonixmum

how many of you house beardies together?
i was told i can house 2 females together (my viv is 6ft x 2ft by 2ft) but when i looked it up online it says yes i can house females together but MOST of the time it doesnt work out and one or both end up injured?

is this true or can females of the same size be housed together? im looking for adults but preferably adults that already live together

whats your thoughts?

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...It is the consensus on here that no 2 dragons should be housed together, because you never know if they will fight or not. If they have not been together since hatching, definitely do not put them together, even if they are the same size. There have been numerous incidences on here of tails, hands, & legs chewed off, as well as deaths.

That being said, I have been successful with putting females together. I believe it has just been good luck. Last month was the first time I have had a problem. BUT I have over 10 years experience in watching their behavior, and I am home most of the time because of being disabled. I saw 2 of my females playing less than playfully. I immediately separated them.

I always recommend that beginners DEFINITELY do NOT put dragons together.

Good luck
Patsy

pheonixmum

Original Poster
thank you patsy.
what if theyve been raised together since hatchlings?
still not to take the chance?

in your siggy.. are all those names on the bottom line chihuahuas? i have a chi called bindi.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...It isn't recommended to put any 2 dragons together.

Yes, I have 8 female Chihuahuas and 1 Pomeranian, who is really my husband's.

My biggest Chihuahua,Sophie, is 6 lbs and smallest is Bambi, and is 1 3/4 lbs at 2 years old. She is crippled from the breeder keeping her in a box cause she was so tiny. She didn't get to walk around & exercise so her back legs & spine didn't grow right. I rescued her at 4 months, weighing 9oz.

Bonnie is overweight at 4 lb. I rescued her from the animal hospital where I worked for 8 years, because the owners wouldn't take care of her 2 broken legs. One had to be amputated. Molly, 3 lbs, came into the hospital because of recurring seizures. Owners didn't want to pay for her meds, etc. so I adopted her, had her spayed and she's never had a seizure since.

Chloe I acqured at the entrance of the humane society. I'd taken things for their retail store. A young girl was crying & hugging her dog & told her mother "what if they kill her like they did in the story in the newspaper." Seems they had to move to a small apartment & couldn't have dogs. So, I took her...she is 3 lb at 3 years.
Maggie came from a friend who didn't like her bark...she's 3 lb. I rescued 2 adult Chihuahuas that were abandoned. I traded them to a breeder for Little Bit who is 3 lbs and too small to breed.
And Katie, 3 lbs, was given to me by someone who'd left her & her sister with someone to care for. Her sister got killed on the road because there was no fence. She asked my friend to give her to someone who'd love & care for her...that is me. 5 of them sleep with me.

Bad dog people can be as stupid as bad dragon people. Their loss, my gain!!
Wow...long for not concening dragons!!!
Patsy

Ambulance

Hatchling Member
Housing dragons together even if they are both females, is really risky and a bad idea. It works out for some people, but there are more bad stories than good...I wouldn't take the chance if I were you.
I strongly urge you not to.
=D

pheonixmum

Original Poster
haha doy about it being long or not concerning dragons it was a very sad post with a very happy ending.. people can be such ******. none of my dogs are rescues because my oldest dog we got from a farm doesnt like other adult dogs.. she accepts puppies no problem so weve just bought puppies and as long as she grows up with them shes fine.
one day when pip goes to the bridge...hopefully not for ALOT of years yet i will rescue a collie.

you seem to have a passion for chis and im not sure if im allowed to post links on this site but i dont see why not as seens its a chihuahua wwebsite (not run by me just my fave canine site) http://www.clubchi.com lovely friendly people on there would love to hear about your chi's if you joined :)

anywayss back to dragons lol.. thanks you for your advise both of you.. i think i will just get the one dragon then and if i want another in the future will look for another set up .

thank you

Eventide

Hatchling Member
I'll go ahead and add my usual two cents: I house a brother/sister together, and they get along just fine. They've been together all their lives, though, so that may have something to do with it. I also have friends who house a male/female pair together with no problems, and the local zoo does too. *shrug* I'd think with a tank that big, you wouldn't have a problem, but I understand not wanting to put the beardies in a situation where they might hurt themselves.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The first two beardies were best friends. We were given them together. Them we would never, ever have housed separately. You could look at them and know they were talking to each other. We have a picture of them that was on the 2008 calendar that shows Miss Y saying she didn't feel good and Miss O sympathizing with her. Miss O was good at that with us and her. When Miss Y died, Miss O was depressed and felt so lost. She might have survived, in spite of Miss Y's death, if she had been healthier and we had known she was sick. We didn't know she was sick until about 1.5 months, maybe a little more, after Miss Y died. When we realized she was sick, it was too late to do anything.

pheonixmum

Original Poster
hi yes i know many people who house together without problems and their is alot of space for them to have their own time..

ive decided to just get one beardie and house it alone and im also going to get a leo (housed seperatly of course lol)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
pheonixmum":a2270 said:
hi yes i know many people who house together without problems and their is alot of space for them to have their own time..

ive decided to just get one beardie and house it alone and im also going to get a leo (housed seperatly of course lol)
Actually it appears that there are no problems. Sometimes beardies don't show that there is one until it is to late. :( And they can hide depression an other problems very well they are masters at this. Depression is common in those that are not allowed their own domains. Depression can cause a compromised immune system which can make the beardie susceptible to illness.

Take this from someone that use to house beardies together. :oops:
They are much better off kept as the solitary creatures that they are. :mrgreen:

I'm happy you decided against housing 2 together. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom