Horrible Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
I've been having a horrible lag on this site, and this site alone. It takes about 2-3 minutes to load a page, post replies or even get to the index. It's just this site, all of my other sites are working properly. Once it loads, it acts just fine, but it's the loading that's annoying the crud out of me. It freezes up my whole browser when it's loading and I'm not able to go to different tabs or change screens or anything.

Are we having another lag on this site or could it possibly be something on my end that I need to figure out. I've already cleared my cookies and cache, so I don't believe that that is an issue. But correct me if I'm wrong.

This site was working flawless last night and just started acting up (for me) around 7am (MST).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MissT

BD.org Addict
I've noticed that when I go to 'view your posts', sometimes, its not updating very quickly - I will find posts I have contributed to at the top of the 'view new posts' list but at times, its taking an hour for it to appear anywhere near the top in 'view your posts'.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Hmmm... if you would, please keep note of the time (down to the minute/second if possible) and what specific action you were waiting on (loading a topic, the response page of a reply, etc.). I haven't seen any issues for me this morning. And the server's load statistics don't show the server being under any heavy load or a lack of load (in the case that there was some network thing causing traffic to be slow). It's possible it was a network thing, but nothing visible from the server's side.

2-3 minutes is indeed totally ridiculous. In fact, 2-3 seconds has come to be slow by the performance levels we've been having since the upgrade. Is anyone else seeing lag on the site to this degree?

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Also I am no on Dial-Up, I am on HSI through comcast, and my speeds are going just fine. My browser is Firefox. Like I said, it's just this site that I'm having the issue with. Any other site I go onto runs just fine and doesn't have one bit of lag.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
beardie":3nfm20t5 said:
Hmmm... if you would, please keep note of the time (down to the minute/second if possible) and what specific action you were waiting on (loading a topic, the response page of a reply, etc.). I haven't seen any issues for me this morning. And the server's load statistics don't show the server being under any heavy load or a lack of load (in the case that there was some network thing causing traffic to be slow). It's possible it was a network thing, but nothing visible from the server's side.

2-3 minutes is indeed totally ridiculous. In fact, 2-3 seconds has come to be slow by the performance levels we've been having since the upgrade. Is anyone else seeing lag on the site to this degree?

I'll try to keep note of the time, but it's mainly anything on this site. I could be trying to look at a thread, respond to a thread or even just go back to the index and it lags.

I appreciate you taking time to look at things, Alex. :)

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
How often is this occurring? Every few minutes? Just a few times total? If you're on dialup, it's possible that it could be some graphic loading (maybe even a Google ad or one of our direct ads). Still 2-3 minutes is ridiculous and wouldn't quite account for that.

-Alex

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
No, not on dial-up. I'm on high speed internet (cable) with comcast.

It's happening every time I go to the index, a thread...Just anytime I try to do anything on the site.

Just now, I went to reply to this thread and it took a full 2 minutes to go from the thread itself to the reply section. :shock: :?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Oh. I misread that. Then that's really odd. I haven't seen anything else. I would think that if others were seeing that, more people would be reporting the lag/delay in use. Hmmmm. And this has only been this morning for you? Hmmmm. Maybe try rebooting the computer? It's odd that it is just this site for you, though.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I did restart my computer, and it was still doing the same thing. It's been about an hour since I did that and now it seems to be running a bit smoother, but still lagging some. I will try clearing out my cookies and cache again. It's slowly starting to lose the lag, but it's still lagging for me. :?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
I'm definitely not seeing the same lag.

I did once have a problem similar to yours, but on the website smugmug.com. All other sites would load fine, but Smugmug would crawl. I did everything I could think of on my end (I'm a network administrator) and it wasn't a problem with Smugmug. Coincidentally, I also had Comcast at the time, and after doing some troubleshooting, I realized it was related to Comcast.

I would try to load the website at my sister's house and had the same problem (she had Comcast as well). But when I would try it at my work or my neighbor's house or my cousin's house (all had AT&T), it would load without a problem. It took weeks of calling Comcast and throwing the blame around. They kept insisting it was something on my end, and I kept insisting it was them. Finally a couple of weeks later, somebody found the problem and corrected it. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was something to do with how Comcast handles cookies. It could be something similar in your case.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It's not my comcast cable.

I think I figured out what it was, but I'm not sure. I got rid of the firefox I had, and downgraded to a different one. It seems to be running a LOT better, but I'm still getting a small lag, it's not as bad as this morning though.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Do the non-forum parts of the website also show this? I should probably create a poll asking people about their experience on the site (performance wise). We're about to enter (actually already started) a period of growth. Every July/August we see a significant rise in visitors (and the first couple weeks of January). So far, the significant spikes of traffic have not affected the load of the server. That generally translates to not affecting users. In fact, it's been so smooth during spikes that if I didn't know this was a peak period, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. That's why I'm curious about your specific lag. Even if it's something on your end (like the browser not liking the site's HTML), others may also experience it. So it's at least something for me to be aware so that if it is affecting enough people, I could consider making coding changes to the site. But I don't know why a browser wouldn't like things here. It's mostly very basic HTML.

If you were to try another browser (like Google's Chrome or IE) are you seeing the issue? Are you on Windows or Mac?

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I'm on windows, and I don't use any other browser...But I can try the IE if you would like. Or I can try on my Ipad and see if it still lags on Safari...?

But as of right now it seems to be running ok, just a small lag. I can live with the lag that it has now, it's much better than this morning's lag. :)

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Yeah... I'm just curious to see if we can isolate it somewhat. When you say "small" lag... how short of a time for a slow load? 5 sec, 30 sec, 1 min? I haven't made any changes to the site... so nothing is a change here. I haven't tried the latest Firefox (decided to switch to Chrome). It works well on my iPad too.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It's about a 5-15 second lag now. I wasn't on the latest Firefox, but an older version, and I downgraded to an even older version and it seems to be working a whole lot better. It is lagging on my Safari on my Ipad as well. It is on data, and it had the same 5-15 second lag on the site as well. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom