Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

prickly

Just wondering if anyone feeds Hornworms to their beardie?
If so, how many do they eat per feeding?
I have read that they are quite substantial when compared to other feeder insects, reaching up to 15gr.

I pulled this from their site:

Insect Weight Per Insect
(Adult Size) Quantity Needed
to Equal 11g-12g
Hornworm 11.000g= 1
Cricket 0.333g= 36
Superworm 0.595g= 20
Mealworm 0.160g= 70
Silkworm 3.000g= 4
Waxworm 0.298g= 40

This leads me to think two or three hornworms would make a nice meal :mrgreen: which helps me justify their cost.
any ideas or input is greatly appreciated

thanks

neecie

Juvie Member
Definitely a great feeder worm. One or two fills up the tummy. Surprising to watch, since they are so big, but being soft beardie chews easily. Watch out for squirting guts!!!

prickly

Original Poster
So....are these worms the bright green 'catapillar' type worm that eats my tomato plants?
The pictures look just like them- bright green w/ eye spots down the side and on the tail.
Anyone have any experience breeding these guys?
Are they worth the money, or should I just put it towards Pheonix worms, Silk worms or more supers?
I have been feeding crickets and supers for protien, and wax worms once or twice a week as a snack, but I like to keep up a variety of food items so I'm trying to decide what worm to try next-
Hornworms and Silkworms seem the largest, while Pheonix worms are a good calcium source-
any ideas or opinions?
thanks

neecie

Juvie Member
Phoenix are great, but so small............takes a lot to fill up. Silkies are my beardie's alternative with the hornworms, but they start to spin and it gets yucky in the container. Hornworms grow fast, but not as messy in the container. DO NOT take any green tomato plant worms off to feed beardie - toxic. Only buy online.
Supers are in the rotation of feeders for my 1 yr old bd. Hornworms are not practical to raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom