Hornworms/goliath worms got a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
I own a 4 month old eating machine. Hes eating me out of a house and home with 80$+ a month for cricket intake eat 6 dosen every 3 days. I NEED a new staple. Hes 13 and 1/2 inches long and has a inch wide mouth XD Can he eat horn worms? What size should i get? And How many should he eat? Im only looking for informations on hornworms and sujections/exspeiances.

Edit: What I posted below:My local pet store cost me 80$ a month for crickets XD But yeah reptiworms didnt work for me Loki wouldnt touch em phinoex worms are good but as i said I live in ohio and all this cold weather is really down falling on shipping. I know the cost of the worms and crickets and such Im looking for something that will fill my fat boy up XD. ATm his diet consit of reptile calicum powder mix on crickets (5xs a week). He gets up to 40-50 crickets a day some times just 30 becuase I have to keep buying more every 3 days. The crickets i buy are standard 3/5th size with wings. He would like em bigger but no where within 20-40 miles has crickets bigger. The person i buy em from sujested pinkies but i refuse to go that route. Besides the crikets every day he has a plate ful of collard/turnip greens mix with occisionally some type of fruit. NORMALLY I have to refill that plate 2-3 times a day with greens becuase he eats it all >>.

Rukii

Juvie Member
I don;t know for sure, but I've heard that hornworms are either toxic or just bad in general for a staple. www.reptiworms.com , www.mulberryfarms.com , www.phoenixworm.com , and www.calciworms.com are some good sites for some good, healthy, vitamin and calcium-packed feeders that don't smell, escape, and are easy to dish out, unlike crickets. I believe reptiworms, calciworms, and phoenix worms are all the same exact species, but just under different brand names and fed different stuff. Mulberry farms is for silkworms/roaches and such. I believe www.theroachguy.com will help you set up your own roach colony, so as long as you keep it healthy and going, you won't have to buy other feeders. You can just feed from the colony. I think that site sells roaches in bulk too though. So you have lots of options. They may not be much cheaper, but they're better for your beardie, and they come in huge amounts. So look around and decide what's best for you. Hope these helped, Best of luck! :D

EShell

Hatchling Member
The default solution is to raise B.Dubia roaches. I have four BDs of various sizes and my relatively new Dubia colony will almost sustain itself. I keep two tubs, one with breeding adults, the second with the feeders/growing nymphs. I'm beginning to think I need a third tub for another place to put newborn feeders, since the huge crowd of very small nymphs is just more to pick through every time I go to get bigger nymphs for the lizards. I wish they'd grow faster, I have thousands of new babies that are too small for most of the BDs I have, but at some point, we'll get caught up.

Yes, they do have a slight odor, but nothing nearly as bad as those rancid crickets. The roaches are very easy to keep, just keep them warm, fed and humid, and it's really a matter of time to let them get established enough to sustain themselves.

For one 15" BD, I'd suggest buying a dozen or so adult (breeding age) females, 3-4 males and a few hundred mixed nymphs no bigger than the appropriate size to feed your lizard now and setting up a colony. This will enable you to leave those stinking, noisy, fragile crickets behind.

You can start feeding the larger nymphs right away while your adults become established, and by the time your adults taper off production, you'll have new adults from your ever-growing nymphs that will get too big to eat. You may have to order a couple hundred more nymphs sometime before your colony gets going, but that's less than you're spending a month now, and you'll soon be shopping for another lizard to help keep your Dubia under control.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
the problem is I cant do roaches no matter what anyone says The owner of the house forbids raches. AND as i said Ive done phinoex worms and thier good but exspemsive IM looking for people to give me infor and exspeiances on hornworms >>

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
I fed both Hornworms and crix to Angie when she was that size w/o any problems! Just know they might not like the crix after eating the worms ...cause the worms are tastier. Some say you can use them as a staple and some say no. So thus the mix. I'd try doing the crix as a morning meal and then hornworms for afternoon meal.

You might want to look into Silkworms too - but all around, both worms are pricey especially compared to crix. Reptiworms are also something to look at - they are the same as Phoenix Worms but cheaper! You could keep those around too for a well rounded protein meal!

wes

Juvie Member
Hornworms are really expensive for a staple and they are not that nutritious. They do an excellent job of hydrating your beardie, though.

May I suggest ordering crickets online? Or call your local pet stores. I just found out that I could get 1,000 crickets for $16.50 from a somewhat local pet store. (I have a roach colony now, but I definitely would have done that last winter instead of paying for overnight shipping.)

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My local pet store cost me 80$ a month for crickets XD But yeah reptiworms didnt work for me Loki wouldnt touch em phinoex worms are good but as i said I live in ohio and all this cold weather is really down falling on shipping. I know the cost of the worms and crickets and such Im looking for something that will fill my fat boy up XD. ATm his diet consit of reptile calicum powder mix on crickets (5xs a week). He gets up to 40-50 crickets a day some times just 30 becuase I have to keep buying more every 3 days. The crickets i buy are standard 3/5th size with wings. He would like em bigger but no where within 20-40 miles has crickets bigger. The person i buy em from sujested pinkies but i refuse to go that route. Besides the crikets every day he has a plate ful of collard/turnip greens mix with occisionally some type of fruit. NORMALLY I have to refill that plate 2-3 times a day with greens becuase he eats it all >>.

articwolfgirl":3rb1km2g said:
the problem is I cant do roaches no matter what anyone says The owner of the house forbids raches. AND as i said Ive done phinoex worms and thier good but exspemsive IM looking for people to give me infor and exspeiances on hornworms >>

I've been feeding fly larvae from grubco.com. They stand up to cold weather- in fact they suggest you keep them just above freezing. They have less calcium than phoenix worms but a good dusting will cure that. Generally my BD has been munching about 80-100/day, but at $20 shipped for 1000 that's not too bad (also I swear they overpack the tubs...I know I got more than 1000 on my last shipment). They stay in the fridge in a little deli cup and are super easy to maintain as well.

I'm quite happy with them for now, and I'm getting a superworm colony going. That's another option that you may consider starting now. I got everything I needed to start breeding supers for about 10 bucks:

3 plastic tubs with small plastic cups from the dollar store.-about 5 bucks
The cheapest cereal from the supermarket (the kind that comes in a bag)- 2 bucks
25 supers to start the colony- $3 and change from petco.

The only thing is that they take a while to get going and they're a little complicated, so don't plan to feed from your supply for at least 4-5 months. My bd is 5-6 months old now, so that should put me right about where she's gonna be big enough to eat them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom