Hornworms for Leopard Gecko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I just got my order of hornworms in from Canadian Feeders, and Rob was kind enough to send me a few of the really tiny ones. I was wondering if it would be OK to give one or two to June as a treat. The little porker has been eating a lot of mealworms lately, and I thought she might enjoy a change of pace. However, I don't know if hornworms are recommended or safe for leos. Any advice would be welcome.

P.S. June is up to 78g now! :shock:

frog

Sub-Adult Member
All of my leopard geckos, including my juvi, (who gets the really tiny ones) love hornworms. When I order them they literally will not eat anything else. I have to wait until Im out and then until they are really hungry :roll: :lol: . I order the cups of 25 since they are smaller, feed the young one the smallest ones, and the rest to the adults. They can eat pretty big worms. And hornworms really get their appetite up. Im thinking of ordering some next week.

Sara

BTW- its great June is getting bigger!! leos are generally 60-100 grams. I really want a scale!!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
frog":a225f said:
And hornworms really get their appetite up.

LOL, that's the last thing she needs! She eats like a little pig. I thought about it, and I'm afraid if I give her a hornworm, she'll get hooked on them, and I can't afford to feed them to her all the time. The last time I took her into the vet, he took a look at her, raised his eyebrows and said "Well, she's not missing any meals, is she?" I guess she is a little chubby... :oops:

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Haha, really? My leopard geckos really like them, and they are good for a treat. If you dont want hornworms to be anything more than a treat, than thats all it can be. Feed them every once in a while, and if she gets hooked on them, be patient. She will eventually get hungry again and eat normally. Leopard geckos store fat in there tails anyways, so she can go a while without food if she is being stubborn.

And if she really likes them it is a good thing- if she is having problems eating like she used to be, you can always get her eating with her favorite treat.

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom