Hornworms and Green Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Today in my garden, I found a Green Pepper plant that was destroyed by a hornworm. (Found the hornworms on the plant eating away at what was left) I know you cant raise hornworms on tomatoe plants and feed them to your dragon because they are toxic, but what about hornworms raised on green pepper plants? I am not going to feed this one to my dragon, but I am wondering about the "manduca project" with a few pepper plants instead of a tomatoe plant. Then I could just let the eggs hatch in the box and feed off the plant until ready to serve right? Any thoughts?

Triage

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As a followup, just so people are aware of what I found out. Green Pepper, Tomatoes, Eggplant and a few other vegetables are members of the nightshade family of plant species. Apparently the leaves are poisonous. I never got a definitive answer as to the carry through of toxicity, but found they are of the same family, I am scrapping the idea. Its back to homemade vitamin fudge for the hornworms. ;-)

invictusrules

Juvie Member
That's good info to know. Thanks for researching. I didn't think about the nightshade family including peppers. Scary! Potatoes, too. :shock:
vitamin fudge
:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Triage

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LOL. No I'm kidding. I never tasted it. I am just judging the taste by the odor when your mixing it up. I did read that the US is the only country (save for Canada) that does not eat some sort of bug. I wonder what a hornworm would taste like. hmmm. :study:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom