home made viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espin679

hello guys, my name is daniel and my girlfriend has had a bearded dragon for almost a year now. and im completly jelous. Money is somewhat tight so i think im going to build my own ViV... i dont feel like spending a few $100 on one from pet-co or something.. I was going to make one out of plexiglass, with sliding doors. Is making them out of plexiglass with tile bottem a ok idea? i know what do do for lighting and everything. just wanted to make sure it was healty =]

PS: also, my girlfriend might be going way from college. would it be dangerous to put 2 beardies in the same cage? they would be about a year differance. I dont need one eating the other. :)

this website is absolutly awesome and made me feel comfortable owning a bearded dragon. Thanks guys, you are the best. Im going to go play with Irwin now.. (girlfriends beardie)

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
I do believe that plexi-glass with tile should be just fine. Might want to double check with someone else though.

As for the two dragons in one tank... I'm quite sure most people on this site will advise against that as there are many problems that may arise. I know some people have sucessfully housed two or more dragons together, but I believe that the risks are too high and too many. It is not at all uncommon for one beardie to injure the other. Also I have heard of problems with dominance, one dragon asserts itself as the alpha and the other may not be getting enough food etc. because of it.

Hope that helps a little...

crazymum

Hatchling Member
as long as they are around the same size and the cage is big enough it should not be that much of a problem to house 2 althought most people on this site will advise against housing 2 together. but do not house a male and a male together or a female and a female. they tend to get territorial. My bf just recently built a 5 1/2 foot by 30inch wide and 2 feet tall tank. made out of wood and a plexiglass front. it cost him around $200 CDN i do believe or just a lil bit more but it is big enough for us to house 2.

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
crazymum got her combinations wrong. While I do not recommend housing two together, the only combination that could work is two females. Two males get territorial and fight, and a male and female will mate and the male won't stop mating and the female has no where to run.
Your best bet; One Cage. One Dragon.

crazymum

Hatchling Member
RedHandFilms":62075 said:
crazymum got her combinations wrong. While I do not recommend housing two together, the only combination that could work is two females. Two males get territorial and fight, and a male and female will mate and the male won't stop mating and the female has no where to run.
Your best bet; One Cage. One Dragon.

No i didnt get my combinations wrong that is what i have been told by many people. that females can get just as territorial as males can. And i was saying a male and a female together if you want them to mate. But that is all that i have been told so i was just offering some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom