Home-grown black soldier fly larvae?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Someone in my area is offering free BSF larvae from their compost bin, and I'm tempted to take some, but I'm nervous about the potential for contaminants.

Does anyone grow their own BSF larvae? It seems like it would be easy, or at least not any harder than keeping dubia, but I haven't read up on it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is decently easy. As long as you live in the proper areas in the world, which it sounds like you do if you are able to pick some up from someone locally.
I wouldn't say as easy as dubia, but definitely easier than crickets/silkworms/hornworms.

The only difference between these BSFL and the ones and phoenix worms, calci-worms, and reptiworms is their diet.

The diet of the branded three is a specialty diet designed to make them a healthy feeder.

These "home-grown" bsfl shouldn't be unhealthy by anymeans, but I wouldn't expect them to necessarily be as "wonderfood" (if you will..) as the three branded types.
You could always ask what foods he puts in the compost.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom