Holy crap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Sooo lately (past month and a half maybe?) Spike has been shedding little bits here and there, which I thought was pretty cool. Last week he shed a big huge section off his belly. Today, I got home around 6:30 and went to go check on him... he looks disgusting!!!! He's got big sections peeling off of him all over the place!! Looks really uncomfortable. Jeeeeez, I don't like this whole shedding thing anymore! I didn't think he would shed this much, he's already over 5 years old!!

Sorry, I'm sure it's normal, but man oh man, this is my first experience with beardies shedding and I did NOT expect this!

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, hahaha, yeah I haven't had him since he was a baby, I got him a few months ago from a friend who could no longer care for him. Sorry, I should have cleared that up in the first place :p

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Well ya its absolutely normal. What you can do to help him is give him a warm soak in your bathtub or a rubbermaid bin up to his armpits for about 20 mins. Alot of the skin will jus come right off.hope that helps

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
The first time I ever saw my first beardie shed as a baby, I thought it was disgusting! :oops:
Now I am fascinated by it and examine it once it is shed. :D

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I find it fascinating as well... I read a post a few months ago about people saving their beardies' sheds... I thought it sounded gross... but I'm doing it now too!!!! I've just never seen it actually peeling up off of his back, only seen in on the floor of his tank once it has fallen off. I didn't think he would shed this much at his age!

Oh, and if he rubs against things he's trying to get the skin off, i wouldn't suggest trying to help pull it off because I heard the new skin is developing in the parts where there is still old skin.

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I know, I've heard that it's bad to peel it off... I have to MAKE myself leave it alone... it's so tempting to pull it off. This is kind of cool actually. Just gave him a bath, hopefully it will fall off on it's own soon!

I kept the big pieces and the ones from his side points and sent them to school with my son who is in 3rd grade. The boys thought it was sooo
cool. Not to many of the girls though.

Cheryl

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
a few days or less. Did you make the water warm not extremely hot but warm? If you do that it will relieave his itchiness and help the skin come off. Just give him like maybe two 10 min soaks throughout the day or one 20 min soak at then end of the day. You can also mist him throughout the day that help too.

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I did soak him in warm water. He does seem to be a little uncomfortable so I'll make sure to bathe him frequently (even though he doesn't really like the baths...) Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom