History of breeding and care

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Could anyone give me a link, or tell me more about the history of breeding and care of bds? I got my first dragon in the 90's so I know a little. I only know about the local scene and what I read in reptile magazines. internet was limited back then, here more so than other areas. Even the major providers didn't have local numbers.

I know they are believed to be smuggled out of austrailia in the 60's and didn't' really hit the pet world big until the 90's. When i got my dragon color phases were rare, at least here. They cost like $500+. The normal grey/brown ran around $120ish. You NEVER saw a color phase in petstores. The reptile show that I bought my dragons I'm not sure if they even had any. I had never heard of any of the morphs we have now. Did they exist back then or were super rare? Can anyone tell when when they appeared on the scene?

Also from what I remember, the care recommendations were different. It's been a very long time, so I might be remembering it wrong. But I'm wanting to say it was the opposite dietary needs, mostly salad when young and mostly insects as adults, or that they ate mostly insects throughout their lives. And I remember reading they were social from what was considered to be reputable sources of the day. is reptile magazine still have the standing that it once had? I used to subscribe and read it loyally. But it was expensive and mostly just tempted me with reptiles I couldn't have. So i just started just looking through in the store and buying the ones that had articles that pertained to dragons. which was usually only once a year. Even that I gave up after a while. Am I remembering this wrong?

Also anything else anyone can tell me of their history I would love to know. I'm a total geek and I find this stuff to be fascinating. It doesn't have to be official confirmed information, just stuff that you knew of at the time. TIA!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hey,
I know its been 35 years since any dragons left austraillia legally....lol
Care has changed alot over the past 10 to 15 years to to R&D.
Its a case of what we KNEW then vs what we KNOW now.
For actual scientific data I would hit up universitys that do animal studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom