High Humidity?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
So I'm kinda a over worried mother lol. But my Lil Gunns humidity in his tank is in the 60's. I don't know how to get it down. His temp is about 110. It's been really hot and humid here in RI the past few days. Our temps have been hitting the 90's and they've issued air quality warnings due to the humidity.

I'm constantly misting both my beardies through out the day with some cool to room temp water. I use to leave a water bowl in the tank but they don't go to it at all. Should I put it back?!
Tonight (9pm) our weather temps are still in the 80's and I found Lil Gunns gaping with a wide open mouth (wider than his normal gaps) and his eyes close. I misted him

Any ideas on how to get this humidity down?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's very humid in NY too and is gonna be until at least the weekend so it's actually normal for their tank humidity to be higher than normal.

Do you have A/C running?

You wouldn't want to put the water bowls back in their tanks because it will raise the humidity even more. When you mist them, you're not misting while they're in their tanks, right?

Since the temps are higher too, have you double checked their temps to make sure they aren't hotter than 110? How old are both of they, are they babies? Are you using either a temp gun or digital with long wire & probe end to ck their temps?

Demonica1610

Original Poster
I do have the A/C running in a separate room.
I don't mist them in their cages. Their temps aren't going over 110.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are they both babies? What type of thermometer are you using and where exactly are you checking their temps?

Demonica1610

Original Poster
No they're both adults. I'm using a dial thermometer
And I check their temps in the basking 110 and cool side 87
And the humidity is in 60's on both sides

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, they're both over a yr old? If that's the case, the 110 reading is too high for both of them. The 110 would only be appropriate for babies a few months old or younger. If yours are adults, the basking temp should be 101 to 104 as adults get too hot in higher temps. It explains why they are doing a wide open gaping. :(

With the dial thermometers, you're not getting accurate readings as those can be off as much as 20 degrees or more. You need to get either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end.

What size are their tanks and what are the wattages of the basking bulbs?

Could you also fill us in on the brand & type of UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom