High Blood Sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fuzzys blood tests show that hes not eating enough greens. I was thinking the same thing about just feeding them veggies. The other day the vet tried to stick a needle in Fuzzys lump to see what it was and hit solid bone. Vet thinks it may be a bone infection and switched from baytril to chloramphenicol in case Fuzzy has built a resistance from being on Baytril so long. It could also be cancer. Lets hope not.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Ooooh, I hope it's not cancer. :( If the vet was able to go right thru to the bone with the needle, there probably isn't a tumor there. Hoping for the best for you and Fuzzy.

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, its weird, the lump is bone. Fuzzy lays around and sleeps a lot. So do the others. They only really come to life when outside, but its too cold now. I need to get them to excercise. I increased the greens to 90%. Vet says beardies still need protein and feeding a small amount of the commercial food garuntees the suppliments are all there in proper doses.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Hopefully the increase in veggies will help with the sugar levels. Makes sense. What kind of light are you using for UVB? Certain types of bulbs can effect the eyes on some dragons, causing swelling and pain. It can also effect their behaviour. Could be a lighting issue if all they want to do is lay around and don't perk up unless they're out in the full sunshine. When Dino was small, she kept hiding under her cage carpet and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me! Did some reading, got rid of the mercury vapor bulb and she started staying out! That same type of bulb had absolutely no negative effect on my dragon before her, which is why it never dawned on me that it could be the lights! :shock:

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Xtera 10.0 18" bulb on the floor of the tank and zoomed reptisun 10.0 24" bulb 14" above on screen lid. Fuzzy props up his chin and licks at it.

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
2012-09-28150951.jpg

vampy

Juvie Member
They shouldn't really have a light on the floor of the tank, and if the 'xterra 10' you're referring to is the reptiglo, that could be causing eye issues, especially if they can get that close to it. Ideally they want to be about 6-8 inches from their UV, the amount of UV rays they get gets exponentially larger the closer they get to the light, which is why having one on the floor isn't a great idea, and the reptiglo bulbs emit too many UV rays at a certain frequency which can damage their eyes. Can you remove the one from the bottom and mount the top one underneath the screen lid so he can get within the 6-8 inches while basking? This would certainly be a more normal set up and rule out the possibility that the UV is the culprit.

However it does seem rather strange that the swelling is only in one eye and responds to antibiotics. Either way, I'd still make the changes suggested above and see if it helps him.

vampy

Juvie Member
I'd take out the bulb on the bottom then...the one on the top looks to be an ok height, provided there is no screen/glass between the bulb and the viv...if so I'd cut a hole in it so the rays can get right through to him.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
I have to agree with Vampy. The bottom bulb isn't necessary at all. Not only that, the only bulbs recommended around here is the Reptisun 10.0. or the Arcadia 12%. Both are tubes. Research has been done on these bulbs and these are the most beneficial and have not been known to cause any eye or other problems.

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fuzzy has been throwing up blood. The vet cage him some carafate to coat his tummy, but he is really dehydrated and looks bad. His mouth is better, just took the drain tube out. Vet gave him iv fluids, but now this morning after his carafatr ill try to give him water. Lets cross our fingers he keeps it down.

DragonBus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fuzzy died at 9:40am this morning. Vet is performing a necropsy. I am beside myself with grief. He was the favorite lizard with all the kids. Mommy is sad. Thankfully I still have my girls to comfort me. Fuzzy had more personality than any other lizard I have ever known save perhaps his father Twister, who he takes after in mischeif and adventure seeking. Fuzzys bright alert eyes will be missed......rip little dude.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Stephanie...
OH NOooo! :cry: I'm am SO SO sorry to hear about Fuzzy. I haven't been on for about a week and I just saw your post. My heart breaks with yours. You've done everything you could for him. I know that doesn't take the hurt away, but you're a great mom to your babies! It's so painful to lose one of these sweet, little animals. Sending love and hugs your way. Please give Peekaboo and Hutch a little hug from me too. Rest easy Fuzzy.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Long-time lurker, first-time commenter. I've been pulling for you and your dragons!! <3 I feel a bit bad and am so sorry we're finally "meeting" under such sad circumstances though. :( And I'm so so so sorry to hear Fuzzy crossed over :( :cry:
He sounded like such a sweethearted little trooper. Rest in peace little guy <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom