Hiding in his cave, digging more than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen623

Hello, my male beardie is 8 1/2 months old & hasn't been acting himself for about 2 weeks now. Instead of basking on top of his hide rock/cave, he's been inside it during the day. When he's out, he seems to look fine, but I've noticed he's doing a lot of digging & tearing up the paper towels I've been using for subtrate. He is 18 inches long & in a 20 gallon tank. My first thought is, maybe he's unhappy in his tank, too small? Which I will be upgrading to a 40 or 50 soon. Or maybe it's too hot. I did notice his basking side was about 100 (digital thermometer) I adjusted his temps. I have a 75 watt dimmer on basking side, which the temp is now about 95-97. The cool side is about 78. He eats mealworms, Phoenix worms, & butter worms, escarole, butternut squash, and mango. I tried wax worms too, but saw a lot of them in his stool so I stopped feeding them to him about 3 weeks ago. He seems to be going to the bathroom every 2 days now. Any ideas?

Heptane

I'm no expert on dragons tearing up substrate, but it sounds like your temps are good. The first thing I would suggest is to get a bigger tank. According to my vet, adults over 12" need at least a 40G breeder tank.

Kristen623

Original Poster
Thanks, I am thinking the same thing. He just looks unhappy. I was relying on a friend to drop off an unused 55 gallon tank, but 2 weeks later no tank. I may have to just go out & buy one myself.

Kristen623

Original Poster
Yesterday he climbed out of his cage!!! He went on top of his basking rock, stretched up & managed to latch onto the flourescent tube fixture & climbed out. I let him walk around the room for a bit. I think I need a new tank like TODAY!!!!

smegol

Hi, he could be starting into burmation. My dragon was that old and started doing the same thing in early august, his appetie slowed and only a bowel movement every couple of days. Of course I panicked because of everything I had read about, beardies don't brumate until they are over a year old. I took him to a vet for a check she was even stumped. I fought the brumation for a couple of months (bad idea, but a first time owner). He came around in December to his old self. So that maybe a possiblility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom