Hide/cave recommendations?

Jessss

Hi!
I’ve recently been looking into getting my guys some new caves and am having a bit of trouble finding a good fit.
I have 4 beardies but only looking to get caves for 3,my guys are fairly big and would need quite a bit of space.
I have been looking at getting the Exo terra tortoise cave for two of my guys as their tanks would fit these ok.It’s a big cave and I am worried it would put them off using them.I would put something inside to pad it out a bit but would these be too big for them?
The cave size is 40.0 x 29.0 x 22.0cm
Would these be ok for my guys even if they have extra space,these are the only caves I can find that would be easy to enter for my guys.

Also my boy Terence has a cave in his tank that is a tiki hut made out of dried alfalfa (from pets at home it is originally made for rabbits) ,is this ok for him,he has has this for a few years now and has been fine! But wanted to double check as this is also another option for my other two the label it says 100% dried alfalfa,I cover the hut with fabric as they are fairly rough and remove the straw top.Any input on if this is safe would be appreciated!

Any other suggestions/recommendations are very much appreciated! Thank you in advance everyone :)

Jessss

Original Poster
Sorry forgot this part! I am thinking of cutting fabric to shape and possibly velcroing or or gluing it to the tiki hut cave(this is to prevent them licking the alfalfa).This would be round the outside of the hut and the inside wall of the hut.What glue or adhesive would be safe to use? The cave will not be directly under a heat lamp or too close to any heat.If anyone has any recommendations on what would be safe,thank you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The alfalfa is safe i think, some use straw as a substrate, i think the alfalfa is one of the ones that is safe if they try to eat it.

Jessss

Original Poster
The alfalfa is safe i think, some use straw as a substrate, i think the alfalfa is one of the ones that is safe if they try to eat it.
Thank you! I thought it was but it’s dyed red and unsure of what they’ve used to dye it.I’m sure it’s fine as it’s meant as a chew toy for rabbits! The main reason I want to cover this with a fabric is because it’s so sharp,I caught my hand on one after I brought it and it completely removed the skin.I’m worried it will cause abrasions/scrapes on my guys,plus my guys seem to have no common sense and would slide down it rather than walk.
Do you have any idea if it would be safe to use a hot glue cut to stick the fabric to the walls of the hut? I’m worried about it heating up but I would only use about 10-15 small pea sized blobs overall.Thank you again for the response :)
I actually ordered two xxl caves a few weeks back but both came covered in some type of sticky substance and smelt awful so had to send back,now I’m paranoid to use the provider!

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Thank you! I thought it was but it’s dyed red and unsure of what they’ve used to dye it.I’m sure it’s fine as it’s meant as a chew toy for rabbits! The main reason I want to cover this with a fabric is because it’s so sharp,I caught my hand on one after I brought it and it completely removed the skin.I’m worried it will cause abrasions/scrapes on my guys,plus my guys seem to have no common sense and would slide down it rather than walk.
Do you have any idea if it would be safe to use a hot glue cut to stick the fabric to the walls of the hut? I’m worried about it heating up but I would only use about 10-15 small pea sized blobs overall.Thank you again for the response :)
I actually ordered two xxl caves a few weeks back but both came covered in some type of sticky substance and smelt awful so had to send back,now I’m paranoid to use the provider!
You can probably try mod podge, a lot of ppl use it to glue and seal backgrounds in beardie enclosures. It's not toxic you just have to let it dry

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Hot glue is safe also, just be careful not to leave strings of it they might try to eat.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i use these for things in our enclosure all the time. not sure how it would stick to the fabric, but for 8 bucks it might be worth experimenting with. Amazon.com

Jessss

Original Poster
Thank you guys! I’ve had a good look round but couldn’t find any adhesives I would trust so I’ve now began sewing the fabric around the huts.I brought some £3 fleece blankets and cut them to fit inside and around the outside of the huts.Then sewed it together at the base,I’ll place another piece of fleece over the top of the hut and secure it so it’s roofed and they can bask on top of hut as well.
Thank you for all of the recommendations,I’m sure I’ll use them for future projects! :)
1 hut down 2 to go and my hands are starting to hurt from sewing but it will be worth it! 😂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Now that is dedication lol, you have lucky beardies 🙂

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom