Hiccups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I watched the video.

Ok good you have the reptisun 10.0. Its a long tube correct?
How soon do you think until you can get the digital thermometer with probe end? You can usually find them pretty cheap at petstores (sub 10 dollars)

It does seem like she has a respiratory problem, so having the correct temperatures in the tank will be extremely important in her recovery.
I would stop with the misting all together. Baths are still fine, I just would make sure you don't let her put her head under water.

What greens are you feeding?

In regards to the video, I was able to hear what you were describing in your first post, it sounds more like a wheezing sound correct? She does seem to be a respiratory problem.

Is there any way possible you can get some money together to take her to a vet? Perhaps a friend can loan you some money? Or family?

-Brandon

anqul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1nc8kzod said:
anqul":1nc8kzod said:
and hey i recorded the noise if u could take look at this video ill be glad!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK7wgLFPa5Q&list=UU541hyU9vY0X2y02ulWGrjg&index=1&feature=plcp

Ok, checking it out atm.

-Brandon
ok let me know what do you think is wrong with her...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I listened to your video over & over. It doesn't sound normal. Doesn't sound like a cough like one of our males did. Our other male kept his mouth open quite a bit like he was having breathing issues. I have never heard the sound your beardie is doing though but would definitely get it checked out. There could be something stuck in her mouth or throat, have you tried to look in the mouth?

Does she seem to have any problems eating or chewing anything? Does she seem to have lost wt? Some parasites can cause all sorts of symptoms and some can affect their breathing as they can cause lung issues. Have you ever had her checked for parasites?

One of our beardies makes smacking noises when he wants to eat or wants a drink. How does she react when you put drops of water on her nose, will she lick it off?

anqul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":3piuylld said:
I listened to your video over & over. It doesn't sound normal. Doesn't sound like a cough like one of our males did. Our other male kept his mouth open quite a bit like he was having breathing issues. I have never heard the sound your beardie is doing though but would definitely get it checked out. There could be something stuck in her mouth or throat, have you tried to look in the mouth?
no i actually didn't... eh...i will check it out 2morrow cause its 2.am where i live and im tired....but the thing that u said that u never heard that before made me worry ahh why is this happening to me....and by the way don't u think that if there was something stuck in her throat she wont eat and she would do it every time not only in the bath ??She has been doing this for almost year and a half but i thought that it was normal till i saw the video about the respiration infection and i thought that it might be it but if u r saying that u never saw anything like that before than idk whats up with Daisy..she had been fine for past 1.5 year she brumate normally it is just that she makes that noise sometimes

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Lonzo, who's 9, does what the first beardie did, like a yawn. He just went to the vet & he's not got a respiratory infection or parasites. He only does this when he's eating baby food (he's not eating much, so I give him baby food to help him gain weight), it's like he's burping. So I'm stumped, too. Would your vet see your beardie to help you out & you can pay the bill over time? I know it's difficult, but sometimes it's just not worth the waiting. See what you can do about that. If it's a respiratory problem, your beardie needs meds to get rid of the infection.
Good luck
Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, when they hiss, they open their mouths up more than that, wish it was that simple.

I never heard the "clicking" sounds when my beardies had URI's. But, they don't all always have the same symptoms. I still think it would be a good idea to get it checked out and to have a fecal checked for parasites too. Since you're hearing it more frequently, I wouldn't wait too long because if it is a URI, it can develop into pneumonia very quickly.

anqul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3jcdynl0 said:
Lonzo, who's 9, does what the first beardie did, like a yawn. He just went to the vet & he's not got a respiratory infection or parasites. He only does this when he's eating baby food (he's not eating much, so I give him baby food to help him gain weight), it's like he's burping. So I'm stumped, too. Would your vet see your beardie to help you out & you can pay the bill over time? I know it's difficult, but sometimes it's just not worth the waiting. See what you can do about that. If it's a respiratory problem, your beardie needs meds to get rid of the infection.
Good luck
Deb
thanks...

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
The sound you are describing is very much like a URI to me. We recently were at a friend's house who had a beardie making a hiccup-quack sound (hard to describe) and it was a URI. He did not take it to a vet and it died. It was very sad. I knew what it was when I heard it, but there was no convincing him to take it to a vet. A bearded dragon has no cilia in its lungs. Cilia are the part of the lungs that clear out infection and keep the lungs in good health. SO when a beardie gets an Upper Respiratory Infection and it is not treated, it will certainly die, 100% of the time.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What puzzles me is that your beardie has been doing this for 1 1/2 yrs without any ill effects. Lonzo has been doing this for as long as I've had him (4 yrs now) & he goes to the vet for a yearly check up. Rubio was also doing the same thing, so I thought he might be sick, but he was at the vet at the same time as Lonzo (2 weeks ago) & he was also clear of any infection. Yet he also does that burping thing that Lonzo does, but only when he's eating baby food (he's another non-eater in the spring, but he has alot of weight, so I'm not so worried about him).

The whole thing is very puzzling. It's making me want to take them back to the vet, but they haven't changed their ways in the last 2 weeks. They're both very active & if they had a URI they wouldn't be so active, would they?
Deb

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
True that a sick dragon would tend to lay around and not act like he was feeling well. The beardie I was in contact with that was making the hiccup/quack sound was really lying around, but it was late at night so who knows how she was acting during the day. I just know if any of my beardies start making that sound I will be straight at the vet. :shock: The poor beardie I saw was dead the next day.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deb, perhaps your beardies do it to get attention and are showing off. I know Sabrina used to do all sorts of things to get a laugh out of us when she was eating her baby food.

Anqul's beardie does it frequently though and not when eating, that's what is concerning more for me. Plus she has stress marks all the time and is not really eating at all.

Seven65

Juvie Member
When i first got Nef she made noises somewhat similar to that and I had her treated for a URI and it seemed to stop over time.

Though she still makes shrill breathing noises sometimes int he bath I think it's mostly when she has just shed and still has so skin in her nose and she's regulating her air supply as they seem to do when there is water around..

Is it possible that this could be a reaction to stress? Baths used to scare Nef to the point of feigning death and going limp in the tub.

anqul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes and the funny part is she looks healthier than always bright colors very active and she literally destroys the tank because she runs around it sooo much that she knocks everything over lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom