Hi!! *waves*

Status
Not open for further replies.

anc90

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone,my name is Amanda im a 21 year old college student...I am new to the beardied dragon world,and very excited! My mom and I will be picking up two babies in a couple days,we just got all the stuff for their tank and are putting it together before they come home! Currently my other pets are a horse,a boxer,and 6 awesome hermit crabs! I would love any tips or any interesting information/facts about them! Im so excited to bring them home,and can't wait to see what this forum has to offer!

--Amanda

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome! :D Don't house beardies together. There will be fighting, you can house them together temporarily but only until you have two cages. Also, look at the care sheets on this site and other posts for beardie info. And one more thing, is you have any questions, just post them on this site! :D BD.org is a kind and caring community ready to help! :) Again, welcome! And good luck on the dragons. Don't forget about pictures when you get the babies! :D

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
TheWerewolf":sw7snsio said:
Welcome! :D Don't house beardies together. There will be fighting, you can house them together temporarily but only until you have two cages. Also, look at the care sheets on this site and other posts for beardie info. And one more thing, is you have any questions, just post them on this site! :D BD.org is a kind and caring community ready to help! :) Again, welcome! And good luck on the dragons. Don't forget about pictures when you get the babies! :D
Thanks! I will definilty post pictures and read up on the care sheets! Tomorrow we are going to pick up a few more things from the store,so we will take a look at another tank!

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We ended up just getting one baby,meet "Vinny" I am in love already! He was super active at the store,right now he's just standing in his new place just looking around,he ate some crickets when he got home.. How long should I wait until I start holding him? A couple days,a week?

photo19cu.jpg

photo20jc.jpg

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Adorable baby! :D One dragon is as many as you need because he is going to eating you out of house and home in no time! :D I say wait a week before holding him. He needs time to adjust to his new home. Just one tip. Please get rid of the sand. It may cause impaction for a baby that young. Good luck on the little guy! :D

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was actually thinking about trying to find the carpet...Right now he's just staring at me in his viv.How long will it usualy take him to start looking around and finding out where everything is? Maybe I'm just being an anal parent.lol.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Don't be ashamed of that. I had a breakdown over pointless panic when I first got Nim. It is the start of being a total slave. He'll probably start exploring soon. Just give him a while. :)

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
As much as it SUCKS, I highly recommend leaving the room and just leaving him alone for at least a few hours. I just got a new baby yesterday and it's like TORTURE not spending every second in there staring at him, but it really will help him settle in and destress.

As for your substrate, you mentioned looking for the Repticarpet, but I just wondered if you'd read about the virtues of using non-adhesive shelf liner. I seriously should get a commission from those people, because I endorse it so much! I just love it because it's cheap, disposable, easy to cut to size, and super easy to clean. I use Duck brand EasyLiner, which I get at Walmart for $6 a roll. I chose that brand specifically because their solid colors don't seem to have any kind of "chemical" smell to them? I noticed any with printed patterns and some of the other brands have kind of a noxious smell that worried me. It's important to get the non-adhesive kind, because the glue from the adhesive kind can heat up under the basking light and put off some toxic fumes. Anyway, that's my endorsement for shelf liner. You can see how the taupe color of it looks in my viv by clicking the link to my webcam in my sig.

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ClydesGirl":2hllxfh6 said:
As much as it SUCKS, I highly recommend leaving the room and just leaving him alone for at least a few hours. I just got a new baby yesterday and it's like TORTURE not spending every second in there staring at him, but it really will help him settle in and destress.

As for your substrate, you mentioned looking for the Repticarpet, but I just wondered if you'd read about the virtues of using non-adhesive shelf liner. I seriously should get a commission from those people, because I endorse it so much! I just love it because it's cheap, disposable, easy to cut to size, and super easy to clean. I use Duck brand EasyLiner, which I get at Walmart for $6 a roll. I chose that brand specifically because their solid colors don't seem to have any kind of "chemical" smell to them? I noticed any with printed patterns and some of the other brands have kind of a noxious smell that worried me. It's important to get the non-adhesive kind, because the glue from the adhesive kind can heat up under the basking light and put off some toxic fumes. Anyway, that's my endorsement for shelf liner. You can see how the taupe color of it looks in my viv by clicking the link to my webcam in my sig.
Oh thats a great Idea! Do you just lay it on the bottom,you don't have to stick it to the bottom or anything? I work for a hardware store and we carry that stuff! That will be hard,he's so stinking adorable!

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, you just lay it on the bottom and it's perfect, because you just cut it to whatever size you need. For cleaning I use alcohol-free organic baby wipes to spot clean it and every week or two I take the whole thing out and clean it with the special cleaner I bought off of beardeddragon.co:

http://www.reptiza.net/beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=239

The great thing about it being so cheap is that you can have spare pieces already cut to size and just swap them out when you want to do a more thorough cleaning.

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ClydesGirl":15k6mr88 said:
Yeah, you just lay it on the bottom and it's perfect, because you just cut it to whatever size you need. For cleaning I use alcohol-free organic baby wipes to spot clean it and every week or two I take the whole thing out and clean it with the special cleaner I bought off of beardeddragon.co:

http://www.reptiza.net/beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=239

The great thing about it being so cheap is that you can have spare pieces already cut to size and just swap them out when you want to do a more thorough cleaning.

I work tomorrow so I will pick some up tomorrow am :) Thank you!!

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vinny has made his way up his vine while I went out of took care of the horses. When I got home I offered him some crickets he only ate 2 of them,and he has some salad in here,definitely was not interested in that..should I just feed him early in the morning some more crickets and a salad?
photo21ag.jpg

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Yep! Just keep offering him food. Greens you can put in fresh in the morning and leave in there all day. Just put a tiny amount of water in the bottom of the dish to keep them from drying out. Protein (crickets) you can offer him 2-3 times a day. Ideally as many as he will eat in 10 minutes, but you might have to go a little slower and be a bot more patient with him if he's brand new. He's going to be skittish and afraid of you so sometimes his fear of you is going to overpower his desire to eat.

anc90

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info! One more question(for the day),right now he's just getting roman greens,is there any other type of food that is good for him at this age? Heading out to the store tomorrow,I know your supposed to buy all organic correct?

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Romane lettuce is not very nutritious and can cause watery stool. Here is a good food guide to follow. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just remember that the food is no bigger than the space between the eyes. (I think I already told you that. But I've helped so many Newbies I really don't know! :p ) And yes, everything should be organic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom