HI Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxss10

Hi my name is Seth and this is my first bearded dragon as well as my first reptile. I am not sure how old he is but he is about 7-8 inches. I got him just 3 days ago from the local petco. I have a 55 gallon tank with the reptile carpet. I am feeding him 3-5 crickets a day a few mealworms when he'll eat them. I am trying to feed him a mix of collards, dandelions, carrots, and a mix of apples, pears, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I don't think he is actually eating the greens and i am wondering if there is anyway to get him to eat it. His tank heating is around 95-100 in the basking area and about 80-85 at the other end. He still isn't comfortable with me picking him up he runs away from me but once i get him in my hands he is okay for a while and then will get impatient and jump out of my hands. If there is any hints and or tips for anything I am all ears. Thanks

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and welcome

Firstly, 3-5 crickets a day is no where near enough. Beardies under 1 year old should be offered live food 2-3 times a day, as much as they will eat in aorund 10 minutes. This should be anywhere between 30 and 100 crickets a day. As for him not eating his veggies, don't worry too much. Just keep offering and he will eventually start eating them. My beardie wouldn't touch his veg till he was around 5 months old. Mealworms are not recommended for young dragons because they are hard to digest, are fatty and contain too much chitin. You would be better of with silkworms or phoenix worms. Keep handling him on a regular basis and he will calm down and get more used to you. What kind of UVB are you using and are you dusting his crickets with calcium and multivitamins? What kind of substrate do you have him on?

foxss10

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice and the substrate is the reptile carpet. I have infrared lighting for night time and basking blubs. Then I have a UV light that i got from the person who gave me the tank.

McQ

Hatchling Member
Hello and welcome!

I agree with zebedeepink, feed him as much as he'll eat in a day. Remember to dust with a good calcium and multivitimin, such as Rep-Cal, and use a good UVB, like the ReptiSUN 10.0.

Once again, welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom