Hi Everybody! Falkor pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new Beardie owner. I have a baby named Falkor, I got him on Christmas Eve. I researched Beardies before I got him (or her), right now he is in a 20 gallon on repti carpet, he has his UVA basking light and his UVB during the day, at night he has his heat lamp, he has a driftwood ramp leading up to the lights so he can bask closer if he wants to. When he gets bigger I already have a 56 gallon to put him in. He loves his crickets and eats some of his salad.

I wanted to see if anybody had any input on getting him used to being handled. Right now when I move my hand near him he hisses and puffs up his tiny beard, he even bit me once. I'm very gentle with him and calm, I don't want to stress him out.

Here is a picture of my new baby!

Falkor24DEC2009003.jpg

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Hello & Welcome ! Your baby is beautiful ! Seems like you have all the right set up, but what is the temp on the basking spot ? And also, what are you using to measure the temp ?

As far as handling, I'd say just be patient, give it a few days as he is probably still stressed from relocation. Relocation stress can take up to a few weeks even ! But, to somewhat speed up the process, or at least get him used to you by the time he's 'over' it.. one of the best trick out there is to put a worn t shirt in the viv. Wear the t shirt all day and just place it in the corner somewhere. Still pet him and handle him daily a few minutes of a time so he knows you mean no harm. Also, you can also try hand feeding him some goodie treats such as wax worms (only occasionally though).

Good luck and we look forward to see lots and lots of pictures !

FalkorsMommy

Original Poster
His basking spot is about 100 degrees, right now for temp I have those circular things that you stick to the glass, which I know aren't that accurate. What would you recommend for getting accurate temps?

That t-shirt idea is great! Just like I used to do when my son was a baby. I am definitely going to try it.

Right now Falkor is sleeping, standing up against the side of his tank under his driftwood ramp. It's his favorite spot to sleep.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Don't we all love the way they sleep ???!!?! I'm obsessed with the way my babies sleep. Keep the camera handy.. you'll know what I mean . lol.

Yes , those therms aren't accurate, no worries, I had those as well before I found this site :D . You can get a temp gun , but most people use a digital thermomter with a probe for accurate reading directly on his basking spot, you can get it mostly anywhere.. price ranges from $5-$15. I got mine from petsmart for $9.99, but I've seen people on here with better ones and way better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom