Hey new here guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidsteeze

So I went to the store to buy a beta fish with my sister and I have been wanting a reptile for a awhile I wanted a Monitor but they are too big. So I saw a bearded dragon at petco And figured Id get the whole set up I bought the Zilla Snake complete kit or something not sure the gallons of it. I just had some questions about what to feed it I have crickets in there for now. And what should I have in my cage? I got the water dish and a rock. Also the humidity is at like 60%-40% temp is about 80 to 82 is that ok?

Thanks Ill post some pictures if you guys wanna see what he looks like :)

I'm from Oregon PAC NW

mike120

Hatchling Member
Crickets are fine for them to eat but don't leave them in with your dragon overnight.

As for temperatures, you need to create a basking spot for your dragon which should be between 100-110 Fahrenheit. You also need to create a heat gradient so in the warm end, its should be in the 90's or so, and the cool end should be in the 80's. Ideally the humidity should be lower than 60%, i think anything under 50 is good (not sure, im sure someone will correct me).

I don't want to sound harsh but a bearded dragon is not the sort of pet you should get without any research like a fish or cat. They need very specific care ie temps, food, UV, tank size etc. Please make sure you find out as much as possible asap. This forum is a great place to start.

what are the dimensions of your vivarium? Are you using a UV bulb? if so what one?

And yeah we love pics here so please post some!

Welcome!

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
Should've done some research first before making such an impulse buy. Humidity should be at like zero . Temp should be at 95 to 105 Farh. or warmer and you should have a cooler area in your tank. They eat other things other than crickets. Romaine lettuce, mustard, turnip, collard greens, kale, cactus pads etc. You said you bought a snake kit. I don't know if a snake kit has the propper lighting for your beardie. Other people will weigh in so keep reading all of these posts and read this forum. It will help you.

AndyT

Juvie Member
As said above, you should have done research first. A snake kit is absolutely no good for a dragon. The substrate, lights, and everything else are way off. Read up on some care sheets on this site, read the forums, and answer the questions given.

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Dude, congrats on the dragon! Make sure you got a light that gives off heat, and paper towels on the bottom of the cage. That's a great way to start, you can get into details later, just make sure they have heat and paper towels on the bottom of their tank, the rest you'll find out on the forum! Welcome man! :blob8:

kidsteeze

Original Poster
im not sure i got a black light and a blueish light very well easy fixes to be made he seems happy with the heat he loves to be held i bought some glow n the dark sand i could have gotten the tank with the right stuff but it was to small

mike120

Hatchling Member
Wow... Where to start.

You need a UVB bulb like a Repti Sun or w/e NOT a black light. (http://www.everythingforpets.com/zoo_med_reptisun_10_0_uvb_tubes.pet/use.id.5.item_id.7371.dept.1279/) The heat is not ok regardless of whether he seems to like it. He will get ill from it if not kept at the right temps. Glow in the dark sand is definitely not on. Most people will recommend reptile carpet or normal sand. For an adult beardie you need a viv that is 4 foot long. i recommend getting that to start with rather than having to upgrade from a smaller tank.

You really need to think about things properly as in; are you giving him calcium with his food? are you giving multi vitamins? are you giving vegetables? is he hydrated enough?

I really think you need to take that beardie back to the store until you can set up his home suitably. Its just not fair for him.

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Just fyi, 20 minutes in the sun is equivalent to 12 hours of a UVB bulb. So you could have your beardie supervised in the sun while you're getting your enclosure setup

I have seen those kits and was contemplating on getting the bearded dragon one until i read that they do not have the right lights, thermometers, etc..

i would recomment this:
1. an acu rite thermometer from walmart, lowes,etc..they are priced at around 12 dollars..it includes two temps and one for the humidity..you put the thermometer probe end on the highest spot where your dragon basks..the temp for a juvenile should be between 105-110..
2. a basking bulb (you can get a phillips FLOOD WHITE light bulb..wattage depends on the gallon of the tank but im assuming if you have the snake set up it wouldnt be more than 10-15 gallons so i would try with a 50 watt or smaller first..if that is too high or too low go higher or lower on the wattage (returning them seemed to be easy for me)
3. 10.0 reptisun TUBE for a uvb source..this should go adjacent to your basking bulb.
4. you do NOT need a water dish..this creates too much humidiy. beardies do not really know how to drink out of a water dish..you need to bathe them at least 3 times a week and more then they are in shed..they do tend to poop when they are in the tub but this is normal and an easier clean up :D just rinse out the poop and then fill up more water..warm-hot water but not too hot. baths can last up to a half hour if they like it.
5. you also need to mist your beardie. i mist Cami daily. misting helps get them hydrated. take your beardie out of the cage to mist it because if you do it inside of the cage that will cause a lot of unwanted humidity
6. you can feed crickets, roaches (dubia), waxworms, supers (when the beardie is big enough..at least 15 inches in length.) i would reccommend dubia..they do not smell and do not make it soo unbearable to sleep at night like crickets..you think you might like the crickets sound but just WAIT until you stay up all night because of them haha :banghead: dubias are a good staple (fed daily) to your beardie.. NEVER EVER feed your beardie meal worms..some people might tell you that they are fine for them but they are very hard to digest and can kill your beardie..fresh salad should be given daily..(collard greens, mustard greens, occasional fruit such as bananas blueberries and melon..) i cannot seem to find that great article on what foods should and should not be given so if anyone could post it that would be great!
7. 3 meals a day! and do not feed your beardie past 5 pm as they will be going to sleep soon...
8. beardies need their sleep..at least 10 hours..my lights come on at 7 and go out at 7
9. the cool area (other side of the tank NOT your basking area) should be a comfortable temp around 70-80 degrees at night is good.
10. you do not need the blue bulb or black light to have on the cage at night.
11. beardies need vitamins..im not good at explaining this part so if anyone could chime in and talk about vitamins that would be great!

like everyone said, and as you can probably see..a bearded dragon is not something that you can just buy on a whim..people have lives that they have to live and unfortunately, bearded dragons can be a lot of FUN hard work..i shouldnt be talking though..i have 2 ferrets a kitten and a beardie soo i know what it is like to work hard with your animals but i love them and wouldnt change it for anything! just have fun and take lots of pictures because they grow up too quickly :(

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Hi kidsteeze, welcome to BD.org.
As has been stated above, you'll probably want to do some research on dragons, now that you have one. The Zilla snake kit comes with a couple of things that you will need, but you'll want to check out this shopping list. Bearded dragons, especially younger ones, are not the cheapest of animals to raise. For starters, I'll lay out what you will want to have.
First off, I would say if you can return the snake kit, do so. If you have a Petco in your area, they are having a dollar per gallon tank sale through the 18th of September. 40 gallon breeders are the minimum size of tank that an adult bearded dragon can live in. So, with the sale you're looking at spending about $40 on the tank, $25 on the tank lid. For the substrate, the easiest thing to start off with is plain paper towel or newspaper, that way you can keep track of your dragon's bowel movements. You can look into other substrates such as slate tile, carpet, or shelf liner also.
Now, for the lights... this is part of the biggest expense of a dragon. For a 40 gallon tank, you will need at least one basking light, if not two, to maintain proper temperatures. I would recommend getting 2 8.5 inch ceramic light fixtures http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/light-fixtures/-/zoo-med-regular-black-ceramic-clip-lamp/ . For the lights, you'll want to get either your reptile lights they sell at the pet store, or you can get halogen lights from walmart. You will also need a thermometer, most of the people on this site have found that the Accurite digital probe thermometer (also available at walmart) works best for keeping temps. I have found that for a 40 gallon tank that a 100 watt basking bulb on one side and a 40 watt bulb in the middle keep good temps in the winter, which is fast approaching. You'll want to gauge your own temps, everyone's varies. The temps for the tank should be, as was stated above, 100 to 110 degrees basking, no cooler than 75 degrees cool side, and about mid 80's for the average ambient temp.
The other light that you will need is a UVB light, something like this one is preferable http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-24-repti-sun-100-fluorescent-bulb/. All that you need in addition to that is a flourescent light fixture.
The other part of owning a bearded dragon that will get expensive is the food. Bearded dragons are omnivores, and you need to supply them with salad daily along with insects. You will want to feed crickets out of the cage, as free roaming crickets have been known to bite and kill young dragons. The salad should consist of dark greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, endive and escarole. A full food chart is available at this link http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html, I highly suggest reading it over before feeding your dragon. For the protein side of the equation, plan on feeding as many crickets as your dragon can eat in about 10-20 minutes 2 times a day. The bigger your dragon gets, the more it will be eating. There are many forum threads and articles about insect food choices, again, I would recommend reading them.
Other things you will need are some form of a basking surface, such as large rock or branch. If you bring it in from outside, MAKE SURE that beyond any measure of doubt it is completely cleaned and sanitized, a process that typically involves bleaching and baking. You will probably also want some form of a hide, and if you have an old light timer, that will make it easier to keep your dragon on a 12 hour lights on/12 hour lights off photoperiod.

So, here are the figures, not including food.

Tank and lid-$65
Light Fixtures- app $25-30
Lights- app $10-20
UVB light and fixture- anywhere $40 on up
Thermometer- $12
Accessories- factor in anywhere from 20-50 dollars, depending on how much you like decorating.

If you have any other questions, just post and someone will be able to answer.\

~RK

holy cow after posting ALL of that i realized i missed some info..

(cont.)

1. never leave bugs in the cage at night..they tend to naw on beardies body parts :angry5:
2. basking bulb should be at least 6-8 inches away from the beardie.
3. a 40-55 or bigger tank is essential for a beardie to grow in..if too small your beardie will be very cramped.
4. clean your tank right when you notice they poop..if not they can inhale it and it can cause very deteriorating side effects.
5. OHHHH and do NOT use sand for the bottom of the cage..it can cause impaction and kill your beardie..the most affordable i have noticed is paper towels and it is soo easy to clean..you just pick them up and place new ones rather than have to scrub it!

also...romaine lettuce isnt really a good veggie to feed your beardie..i guess you can, but it doesnt give them a lot of nutrients like other greens like collards or mustards...sorry for my really long posts! lol

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
if he bought it at pet co he probably got a baby. we shouldn't bombard kidsteeze with info for taking care of an adult. the dollar a gallon at pet co is only for fish tanks not reptile tanks

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
dragonxxxx":tq4fyhj2 said:
if he bought it at pet co he probally got a baby. we shouldn't bombard kidsteeze with info for taking care of an adult. the dollar a gallon at pet co is only for fish tanks not reptile tanks

You can use those tanks as reptile enclosures.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Correct that kidsteeze probably got a baby, and the tanks on sale all work the same way. This way will actually save money in the long run, a 40 gallon breeder at full price is usually 110 dollars, this way they only have to purchase one tank. If you go with a 20 gallon tank, you'll only be able to really use it for about 6 months before your dragon needs a bigger tank.
Trust me, I work at one of these stores, and I've done quite a bit of figuring to get the best bang for your buck and still have a proper set up. I do this on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom