hey guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Digital

I'm in the midst of doing some research before I get my first beardie and this is the best site I've come across, so I wanted to see what info I can get from you all. I'm 21 and I live in chicago, I have a dog and a bird, but this will be my first reptile. I've read a couple books and done internet research so I have a pretty good grasp on the basics, but I was just looking for some advice that might not be in these guides, caresheets, etc. The one thing I'm curious about is having live food (crickets, worms) around the house... is that a big deal as far as mess is concerned? I'm also trying to find the best place in the Chicago area to buy a beardie, so if anybody could help me out with that, that would be awesome. Thanks.

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Bobby Digital":ac183 said:
looking for some advice that might not be in these guides, caresheets, etc
In case you haven't found these 3 care sheets, they are my personal favorite :)
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
http://blackninjakitty.com/herps/dragons.php
http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/caresheet.php
Bobby Digital":ac183 said:
is that a big deal as far as mess is concerned?
IMO, crickets smell, alot. But they are easy feeders. Roaches don't smell, but gross people out. I feed both to my baby. Plus, phoenix worms, horn, and silk worms. Hope that helps alittle :)

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and welcome :D Crickets are the worst thing to keep IMO. They do tend to stink after a while, especially if you keep them in large quantities and they create a lot of poop and mess etc. Supers are great and are very easy to keep. Silkies are not too bad and don't smell. Just make sure that whatever veggies you give to your feeders is changed regularly so it doesn't go off. Keep researching and don't pay too much attention to any information you get from petshops. You're better off asking any questions you have on here :D

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Bobby Digital":27c0b said:
I've read a couple books and done internet research so I have a pretty good grasp on the basics, but I was just looking for some advice that might not be in these guides, caresheets, etc. The one thing I'm curious about is having live food (crickets, worms) around the house... is that a big deal as far as mess is concerned? I'm also trying to find the best place in the Chicago area to buy a beardie, so if anybody could help me out with that, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Some common things that people are given wrong information on:
- you can use a regular lightbulb or a halogen flood light bulb to heat the tank, they do the same job as the petstore heatbulbs and cost less. You just need something that puts out bright clear (not red) light, and enough heat to get the temps to where they need to be (basking spot 100-110*F, cool side 80*F). Dont' let them sell you a red bulb - during the day dragons need bright clear light, and at night all lights should be turned off.

- good UVB is essential. You'll want to either get the flourescent tube Reptisun 10.0 (the reptisun 5.0, and reptiglo 8.0 are acceptable as well) which puts out UVB but no heat, or a mercury vapor bulb which puts out heat and UVB (best ones are the megarays http://www.reptileuv.com and the T-rex active heat flood bulb). Stay away from compact UVB bulbs (look like energy saver bulbs) and any ESU or R-Zilla brand bulbs.

- Calcium sand is not digestible, it is potentially deadly to keep your dragon on. Babies should be kept on a solid substrate (paper towels, nonadhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet, textured tiles are all popular options), although you can keep an adult on sifted children's playsand if you really like the whole sand look.

As far as live feeders go, dealing with crickets was a bit of a pain. I ordered mine in 1000 at a time to feed my girl when she was growing, and kept them in a big rubbermaid tub. They need to be kept warm so you can't leave them out in a garage or anything, and there needs to be good airflow through the container to keep it dried out otherwise the smell is horrible. Crickets have a bit of a smell even in a dry, clean container, and there's always the noise factor once you start getting larger crickets. That being said, they are the cheapest and most easily available feeder which is quite helpful if you bring home a young dragon who will be eating dozens of them a day. Roaches are supposed to be easy to care for and breed without as much of a smell or noise problem. I found silkworms to be a bit time intensive to keep (they need to be fed daily and have their tub cleaned out), although they are quite nutritious for your dragon. Superworms are curently my dragon's staple bug and we both love them. They're easy to keep and breed, with minimal maintenance required, no smell and no noise. They should only be used for dragons 16 inches and longer, however, since their shell poses a risk for smaller dragons.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the site!

thunderbrothers

Juvie Member
Bobby Digital":e177c said:
I'm also trying to find the best place in the Chicago area to buy a beardie, so if anybody could help me out with that, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Try sending a PM to midnight_962002 (Ernie). He a part time breeder out of Schaumburg. I don't know if he's got any at the moment, but we got Scarlet from him, and she's gorgeous. I've met him, and he really knows what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom