He's quit eating....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samajade

My new adult beardie (name Montague) has been with me about a month (gotten from a pet store - he was an owner drop-off). In that time, he's been wormed (by a vet) twice using Panacur and Flagyl (metro.... can never remember the whole name). Two doses, 10 days apart. He's never eaten his greens very well, but DID eat some of them every day. He always ate his crickets (offered about every third day) no problem. He was wormed for the second time a week ago Thursday (6/24). I started giving him BeneBac on Sunday (6/27). On Monday I tried him on superworms (I'd like to use that as a staple instead of crickets). Since he's a fair amount underweight, I thought I understood to let him eat as many as he wanted in a 15 minute period. I did. He ate a lot of them - I dunno, like 20-25 maybe?

Well, it's now Thursday and he's not eaten since. :shock: So now I'm freaked there's something wrong with him or that I let him have way too many supers and now he's a lot sick or something, I dunno. He's so underweight as it is (can see the bones on either side of his tail), he just can't go without food for so long.

What do you think? Did I do something bad with the supers and if I did, how do I go about fixing it? Do I need to worry about impaction or something? I've not offered any more superworms OR crickets - afraid that I won't ever get him to eat his greens. Or should I just give him them anyhow (which he probably WOULD eat) ? Help please?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I have a few of these questions myself sometimes.. but my two cents.. He may be a picky eater. He's underweight and loving all the protein and that is probably all he wants now. He might go on a hunger strike, but sit it out until he starts eating his greens. Has he poo'd since the superworm binge? if so, were the supers fully digested??

Samajade

Original Poster
He FINALLY went today in the bath. I think they were fully digested? I mean, I didn't see bits of them or anything, is that what you mean? And I THINK he ate just a bit of his greens late this afternoon! I came home to find a small bit of the dish empty - and I THINK he ate some but it's a bit hard to tell if it just got pushed inward if you kwim.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that he had a poop. So, you didn't see pieces of undigested supers?

I suggest you go easy on the protein, since he is underweight and went without very much protein for so long, you don't want to overtax his system. Also, supers can cause them to not be as hydrated because of the shell on them so I wouldn't offer as many as that again. Might not be a bad idea to stick with baby food for a few days to make sure he passed all the supers, you could mix some chicken and squash baby food together and put drops on his nose for him to lick off. That would be easier to digest.

Please keep us updated on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom