He's got eyes of the bluest skies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Hello, I was hoping someone knowledgable about genetics, colors, morphs could help me out. I have a bearded dragon that is bright yellow in his viv and orange usually when I have him out. He has a little bit of sidebars, but I have noticed that I haven't seen any Beardeds with defined markings as much so as the young ones. His nails are clear but not completely. There I can see a a dark line going through. The most interesting of all is that he has blue eyes. Now I dont know what the definition of blue eyes is. I understand that reputable breeders have considered this a defect or disease. I have heard that very few have been produced that can actually be called blue. That most with this color have vision problems. Mine does not have any issues. He is very healthy. but like the color of the skin the color of his eyes change with lighting, heat etc... They can be a dark defined blue or a very very light silver blue depending.
Does anyone have any ideas on what his morph, color etc might be?
Does anyone know the origin of the blue eyes?
Many people tell me I need to breed him, but I don't have a mature female and breeding is costly. I'm trying to learn everything I can about coloration and morphs.
If I ever were to breed him it would be for the purpose of a quite enjoyable learning experience.
I must admit I am really curious what kind of offspring this guy can produce...
Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Could you post pictures up for us?

Especially some good pictures of the eyes. Blue eyes are very rare, and as far as im aware, not very well understood yet.

-Brandon

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BBCode (message boards & forums)
AKD5w2d.jpg

wIgPvWt.jpg

Hopefully these are clear enough.
In the first picture, the eyes are a defined blue.
In the second, they are a light blue in the sunlight. I have blue eyes and I suppose mine do the same thing.

A few of his body:
9devy8U.jpg

vfW7Ixm.jpg

none of these pictures do his yellow color justice. But when he is basking is a bright banana yellow.
Claws that are clear on every claw with the dark line going through are normal, correct?
Thanks! Let me know if you need anymore pictures or what you think he is considered!

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
vfW7Ixm.jpg

d4invtj.jpg

3qYnSmi.jpg

Kilana

I don't know anything about the genetics and breeding and whatnot, but I just wanted to comment, wow, what a beautiful dragon! Those blue eyes, they are so pretty!

kankri

He's a yellow normal. Those are beautiful eyes though. There was some other dragon breeder trying to breed out blue eyed dragons, but they're gone now I think. They had some blue eyed dragons, but all the offspring had brown eyes I believe. So, not sure if blue eyes is breedable, but if you did manage to I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot of buyers. It just looks so unique and vibrant.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! Jasper appreciates it :)
I've thought about looking for a female to breed him to but I don't have the room. I have a female but she is obviously too young at about 5 months... And that wasn't my original intention with him. Although, I feel he's pretty special and I won't know if I can make more of these blue-eyed beauties unless I try. :) I suppose I'll start looking for someone local in the Portland, OR area who would be interested in breeding their female to him and maybe we can strike a deal...
Does anyone know if there is a bloodline?
The reason I ask is because I came across a post by Bloodbankdragons saying it was not a natural good thing and therefore true blue eyes didn't really exist? Or something to that affect... (Not quoting them in any way)...
But then they had posted about All About Beardeds producing some that were true.
Thank you for the color info! Do you know what the term would be for his yellow? Citrus, lemon burst etc....?
I suppose that information might be impossible to know due to the fact I don't know where he came from...
Thanks guys :)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
You could always do what they do with stallions and see if any breeders would pay to have him breed with any of their females.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's a good idea. However, it gets a little bit complicated because I am interested in the offspring as well. But I realize that the female side of things (litter box, incubator etc...) is costly.
I was thinking that instead of finding someone interested in paying, I thought maybe for my first time we could split up the babies by odds and evens as they hatch. Either that or draw from a hat... That way it would be fair. Assuming that few if any might get the eyes and there wouldn't be a fair way to decide unless there was a contract in place prior to them hatching.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Very true! I sure don't know where to start! Find a reliable person could be difficult too. It'd be easy for them to get a gravid female and never talk to me again Lol!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
That is true. I wish you the best of luck in your ventures. You could always get a contract drawn up and if they don't follow through take them to court. Drastic, but is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom