Her poop is Sqaushed and inactive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampx

She is a 2-3 month old brand new and she ate normally for the first month now she dosent eat and rarely poops its really concerning me i don't know what to do. Help
Shes in a 30 gallon tank with clay looking substrate and a basking spot which stays exactly 100 all the time
i always keep water and the light stays on for 12 hours and goes off for 12 at night.
Shes acting really weird. also i recently got her some meal worms could this be affecting her at all.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, first off get rid of the clay substrate and get paper towels, reptile carpet or nonadhesive shelf liner.

Then answer the following questions: (Drache/Tracie and Vicki/vickson)
How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
What is the basking area temps?
The coolside temp>
How do you take the temp?
Do you use a UVB Bulb, if so, what brand.
How often does he poop? What does it look like ?
Do you use calcium supplement?
Do you use Vitamin supplement?
What do you feed it?
IS it bathed?
Offered water,etc?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Mealworms are known for impacting young ones due to the hard outer shell they have so stop feeding her those. And please change out the clay stuff because it can also cause impaction. Try using tile , repticarpet, paper towls, newspaper. My fav is tile really easy to clean.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html this is a list of foods beardies can and cant eat. You might want to try crickets or softworms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, if you could please answer the few questions, regarding your tank setup, it would really help us out alot, thanks!
How is your dragon doing today? For now, I would discontinue the mealies & focus on crickets, phoenix worms or butterworms. IF you feel she is impacted, then, do not feed any feeders or solid foods. Instead, try chicken or turkey babyfood along with squash babyfood, canned pumpkin & some sugar free applesauce with a couple of drops of olive oil to help out if there is a small impaction going on there.
You can also bathe in warm water, & massage gently on the right side of the belly, starting at the arm pit all the way down to the vent to help as well.
Increase the oral fluids, daily, as well. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

ampx

Original Poster
2-3 months old
had it for 1 month
basking temps stay at exactly 100 degrees constantly
the cool side is 80-85 degrees
the temp i suse digital thermometer
the uv bulb is a exo terra sun glo 100w
he has pooped like twice in 5 days! it lookes smashed and black and has a smell to it
yes i dust crickets with a calcium supplement twice a week (which crickets are it regular diet)
no vitamins though
i useually feed it 3-4 large crickets a day or however many it can eat
yes i regularly bath it
it has a clean dish of water every day

ampx

Original Poster
and for the substrate its not clay its a calcium sand that looks clayish again it is not clay

ampx

Original Poster
munchkins9802":206f9 said:
Okay, first off get rid of the clay substrate and get paper towels, reptile carpet or nonadhesive shelf liner.

Then answer the following questions: (Drache/Tracie and Vicki/vickson)
How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
What is the basking area temps?
The coolside temp>
How do you take the temp?
Do you use a UVB Bulb, if so, what brand.
How often does he poop? What does it look like ?
Do you use calcium supplement?
Do you use Vitamin supplement?
What do you feed it?
IS it bathed?
Offered water,etc?
2-3 months old
had it for 1 month
basking temps stay at exactly 100 degrees constantly
the cool side is 80-85 degrees
the temp i suse digital thermometer
the uv bulb is a exo terra sun glo 100w
he has pooped like twice in 5 days! it lookes smashed and black and has a smell to it
yes i dust crickets with a calcium supplement twice a week (which crickets are it regular diet)
no vitamins though
i useually feed it 3-4 large crickets a day or however many it can eat
yes i regularly bath it
it has a clean dish of water every day

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
Hello!

Calcium sand is not a good idea and you should remove it immediately. Your dragon will get impacted b/c the calcium sand is like cement in there bellies.

I also had the same problem with my little man when I got him, ate like a champ for the 1st month I had him then stopped eating and pooping. Soon after he started pooping blood. He ended up being chalkfull of coccidis.

There are a couple more things wrong with your setup but I will let Tracie reply to that! But remember to only be feeding him feeders that are the size between there eyes no bigger. This could also impact them.

Also know we are not harping on you we all just want whats best for your dude, just like you:):)

Take Care

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, please remove calci and.
At 2-3 months old the lizard should NOT be eating large crickets. He should be eating crickets (NO bigger than the space between his eyes). He should be fed as many as he will eat in a 10 minutes time period 2-3x/day. Bigger crickets=impaction!!. Calci sand is # 1 cause for impaction as well.
Good you are using calcium. He should use herptivite vitamins (blue label) 2x week and calcium 5x week (1 feeding a day)

If I remember right the sunglo is not a UVB bulb, but a basking bulb (tracie--vicki??). He really needs a UVB bulb as well. The repti sun 10.0 is the best and it is really cheap at petmountain.com (and you can get the fixture out home depot or lowes under $15. They need a basking bulb but also a UVB bulb

Yes the mealworms can also cause impaction in juvenile dragons--yours is considered a baby or juvenile still. If you must give it worms try phoenixworms from phoenixworms.com.

If the poop is smelly. Next time she goes, take the poop into the vet for a fecal test, she may have parasites such as coccidia or pinworms.

Good luck and keep us posted. Tracie will be on again soon I am sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom