Heptic (liver) tumor/may be benign, but am monitoring..help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got the results back from the vet today for my 7 year old beardie Mr. Bungle, who has been identified with a type of liver tumor, 3 types of which would be benign, one type that would be malignant. The only way to tell would be to biopsy it, which would require surgery that would might as well be done to remove it. Considering the surgery would possibly only bring them to find out it can't be removed makes that avoidable unless it is obviously malignant. I have been monitoring a strange tube he's had running down his side for like two years, which turned out to be a fat roll or something, and came across the tumor about a month or so ago. Waited to see if it was stool, and took him to the vet last week where they did an ultrasound and aspiration. So at this point, granted he has had pretty good health, energy level (sometimes seems a little lethargic until I pick him up and bring him out), attentiveness, pretty good appetite (though does refuse foods sometimes...more out of boredom?), they feel, as do I, monitoring activity for the next few weeks is the best course. Can anyone give me any observations they have had with bearded dragons with cancer? They told me it is hard to give any real "specific" answer as to what to look for, as it is more a number of little things. Sometimes he has some labored breathing at night, more then usual, but not during the day. His energy level appears kind of down sometimes, but he's off and running as soon as he gets out. So hopefully the prognosis is good. I appreciate any advice or experiences people have had, I've gone through some pretty sick dragons, one with ocular cancer, the other with a mysterious chronic constipation that left her liver in bad shape and gave her a gallstone. So I guess I've had a lot of abonormal experiences and can relate on any strange observations people have had on their own that may help my insights these next couple weeks for him. Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Fortunately, I have not had experience with cancer. I thought I would ask if bloodwork has been done & if so, what did it determine? How was the tumor discovered, through x-rays?
If you have had blood work done, do you mind sending me a copy of them for me to look over? Thanks.
Just look for changes of behavior, the color of the inside of the mouth, the stool frequency, etc.

Tracie

utahrapture

Original Poster
Hi Tracie. Bloodwork sounded like the next step, it would be the best way to determine the liver's functioning right now, it sounded like there are some specific things they can isolate, can't remember what. I'd like bring him in for it, but the whole procedure really stressed him out, and am going to call back to see what specifically it would show again. I do remember her saying something about this bloodwork not showing much about this type of cancer because it does not spread from the liver....like it's not pathogenic or something? I'm not sure if that's the right word. But it would show what the liver is outputting and may help with the assessment. The last time he had an xray, which was at least a year ago, it didn't show up. The aspirate showed up with some mineralized content, so I would imagine it would have shown some on a xray, but this was located with an ultrasound. I'm not sure what the process is for the University of Wisconsin document transfer-wise, but it is something I may look into if the bloodwork ends up being something I do, thanks for the offer. They would probably need some specifics, I'm assuming you work at a clinic and something could be arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom