Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzy15

I just acquired a year and a half old female bearded dragon. It was surrendered to the pet shop. I have done a lot of research and really I just have a behavioral question. She is in the tank she came in etc (40 gal) but she just seems really freaked out. Puffing up, hissing etc when I come near. Is this normal because of the transition? What's the best thing to do?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she may be stressed by the move or just isn't used to being interacted with. This will take some time to work through but don't become disheartened. You may want to put some paper up on the sides of the tank to help her feel a bit more enclosed and secure. If you want to handle her, try doing so later in the evening around lights out. She's likely to be more tired and not put up a fight. If you are able to handle her in the evening on a fairly regular basis, it will help her get used to you and realize you are safe.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd imagine she will become more used to it. They're all different though so it's hard to say to what extent. Just keep being gentile around her and she will likely become calmer than she is now.

I agree, try to handle her a little bit at a time. But definitely move slowly and just start with petting. I have had both my babies since they were tiny little things and they get "molested" daily but sometimes they are kind of spacing out (as beardies do) and if you move too quickly it startles them. They have never shown aggression or anything but they kind of jump like they didn't see you there. So just approach slowly, let her know you're coming and you're not swooping in to eat her. I hope she comes around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom