HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzChew

I recently constructed a dubia colony with ~100 mixed and 10 adults.

I went away for a few days and left them the only decent thing I had in my fridge at the time, a tomato.

Needless to say I come back to find there are mold spores ALL over the tomatoes, which are placed on a ceramic dish.

Obviously I took this plate out, but my question is, do I have to abandon the whole colony or is there some way of finding out if they are still healthy roaches for Sullivan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first colony!

romanfj

Hatchling Member
Don't worry too much about the mold. If you removed the tomato, your dubia probably will not be overcome with fungus. It is possible, but unlikely.

Further, the mold is most likely penicillium, from which penicillin is made. If this is so, whatever microscopic amount may be on your dubias will cause your dragon no harm.

If you are super conservative, just wait a week and if the roaches aren't fuzzy, they're not infected.

Frank

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
I'm w/ Frank on this one. The only time I've really seen mold devastate a colony is when it goes unnoticed in between egg crates or when there's moisture in the frass. Clean your colony every few months, keep good ventilation through the colony and don't mist the colony. Those are the best ways to avoid/prevent mold outbreaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kay.marie
Top Bottom