help with potty training *frustrated*

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Okay, so Eros is being a total you-know-what, for the past week he refuses to poop in his viv and instead poops when we let him out for some playtime. He's pooped on the bed, on the WHITE carpet, on the coffee table, on top of text books, on clothes...he just poops everywhere! I have heard some people put their dragons in the bath before they let them run around that the beardies learn to go while in the bath, but Eros HATES bath time, so it's not likely he'll relax enough to go in his bath. Is there anything else we can do to potty train him? I'm getting rather sick and tired of cleaning up stinking piles of poo :x

After he poops we scold him and he immediately gets put back in his viv and is "shunned". We cover up his tank so he can't see us anymore and we ignore his pawing at the glass. Not sure if he's getting the picture that everytime he poops outside the humans get grumpy ad he goes back to his home.

Any help please? I want to let him out around the house and us, but I'm not very happy with all the pooping. We rent so we CAN NOT have him ruining our carpets.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with Janie, one of my dragons isn't much for hanging out in the little tub we bathe everyone else in. So we just put him in the actual bathtub. That way he can run around (can't climb out) and still gets the benefits of baths. I've yet to come across a dragon that WONT poop in a bath. I used to be in the same boat you're in, but i got to the point where I decided the dragon couldn't come out and play if they didn't poop in the bath because it's to big of a pain to clean up.

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
I don't think that punishing him for pooping on the carpet is going to help. Definitely start bathing every day - help him get regular and on a schedule.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We started forcing him to stay in the bath for a little while. He has pooped for us twice now :D He still hates the bath and scrambles around like crazy, though. If he doesn't poop after 20 minutes we just put him back in his enclosure, if he does poop he gets to run around the house as he pleases. Hopefully he'll start to learn poop=playtime no poop=boring old viv.

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
stephnt619":d9302 said:
We started forcing him to stay in the bath for a little while. He has pooped for us twice now :D He still hates the bath and scrambles around like crazy, though. If he doesn't poop after 20 minutes we just put him back in his enclosure, if he does poop he gets to run around the house as he pleases. Hopefully he'll start to learn poop=playtime no poop=boring old viv.

Did you try a shower? I know it sounds silly, but it might be more comfortable for him than a bath. Our beardie gets so scared at bath time. He just HATES it. But in the shower, he relaxes and just sits there chillin' :) can't hurt to try right? ;)

I put his harness on and take him outside. He poops there. He scatches to come out in the morning and that is when I know he has to go potty.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll have to try that with him. I was just concerned the shower water would some how get in his nose and drowned him. It gets really hot around here (can't afford an air conditioner) so I often take a mid-day shower to keep cool. Maybe I'll bring him in there with me and let him sit in there. Don't worry, I won't use any soaps or shampoos if he's gonna be in the shower with me.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
YAY :blob5: I just got him out for his afternoon adventures, placed him in the warm bathtub, and within 7 minutes!!!!! he had done his business :eek: I think he's starting to get the idea of it. Now he can enjoy running around and momma can enjoy not having to worry about him pooping on things and ruining the carpet!!!

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
well done Eros! congrats :D A shower won't hurt him. I know that some people's beardies like to swim underwater. lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may enjoy the baths or shower more if you have a towel down in the bottom to keep him from sliding around as that makes them feel more secure.

I really don't think he's going to get the concept of being placed back in his tank and then covering it up as punishment for pooping on the carpet. The owners are the ones that have to actually set up the routine by getting to know about the time of day that he empties himself out. Exercise by running around causes pooping so giving him a bath or shower first then letting him run around may just do the trick. How old is your beardie?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I kinda make my swim while there in there. If they just sit in the tub they won't poop but if I make them move around they will wiggle it out. Sooo splash him a bit while he's in there to "piss" him off if you get my meaning.

I believe at any age. I think it's even more important when they are young to prevent dehydration. also, you can tell how hydrated they are by their urate. If you see a good amount of white in their poop (that is their pee) than they are getting moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom