HELP WITH POTENTIAL RESCUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
So I've been looking for a bearded dragon for my brother for a while now and I came upon an add that sounded alright. A male bearded dragon, 16 inches, a year and a half old for sale. The asking price was $120, which I thought was a little steep...so I emailed to find out more. This was the response:

"I've have this BD since he is still baby. He is living with the Hypo Yellow and SandFire (All male) in a 30 Gallon Tank. He is one of the fastest cricket catcher, compare to Hypo and Sand Fire (the slowest). Dinner time every night he can eat more then @10 5 Weeks crickets at a time, but I have to watch their diet, average @6 per dragon, they also like Super & Giant Worm too twice a week, I never feed them cockroach. Morning breakfast special made vegie. I try to find him a good girl but ... , then maybe some one already got a girl need a good boy. Their living place close to the patio facing south, I have UVB 10.0 Tube, Mercury Vapour Light & natural SUN light when wheather is good, under tank heat pad. They go to sleep before 9pm and wake up aroung 8:30am. If you just need the dragon I can go for $90. " - Seller

So a few things startled me. He is keeping three male adult bearded dragons in a 30 gallon tank?! And he is only allowing them 6 crickets? Jeez...now I feel like I have to rescue this beardie. Problem is the guy wants no less than $85 for him. Is that a good price? Also, he said he had a few babies left for $50 each! I don't even want to know what kind of condition the babies are being kept in. :( So what should I do? Bite the bullet and rescue this poor guy? If the beardie has a billion health problems I can't afford the vet bills atm....but I just feel so bad :(

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I recieved a picture and he looked okay. As far as I could see he had his whole tail and all of his fingers and toes. I managed to barter the guy down to $75 so I will hopefully be picking him up tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
BeardieNewbie15":12pjfycj said:
I recieved a picture and he looked okay. As far as I could see he had his whole tail and all of his fingers and toes. I managed to barter the guy down to $75 so I will hopefully be picking him up tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

Good luck, keep us posted!

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks all! Here is the picture the seller sent to me. Hopefully this is actually what he looks like! In the email (as you can see above) the seller is saying he is a Hypo Yellow..not that it really matters to me. I will hopefully be picking him up tomorrow morning, so I will have an update tomorrow afternoon. :D

pbd01-2.jpg

Jess

Extreme Poster
Wow, he looks really healthy, and pretty chunky too! Definatly not what I expected after reading the email.
I hope he is as healthy as he looks!
And is the guy selling his other beardies too? I hope you can convince him to seperate them and feed them better. :|

studmule

BeardieNewbie15":1nhruvxc said:
You and me both! I will wait until after I get the beardie so I don't 'offend' him. :p
Good call. Get your little guy first, before you give the owner a well deserved lecture!

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good call. Get your little guy first, before you give the owner a well deserved lecture!

You'd better believe I will give him quite the lesson. The guy seems nice enough but a little under educated. He said if I wanted he would include a 15 gallon tank with lid for the dragon. I politely said no thank you, as I already have a complete set up waiting. But in my mind I was screaming "an adult bearded dragon should never be kept in a 15 gallon tank! are you out of your mind?! how can you keep three adult males in a 30 gallon tank then offer to get rid of one with an even smaller tank? ARE YOU EFFING CRAZY?!" :lol:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Well, at least he is going to a good home now, and the remaining beardies will have more space!
Did he say weather it was a regular 30, or a tall or breeder? A breeder wouldnt be as bad, since it has the same floor space as a 40 gal breeder... Still not good though, especially for 2 males!

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He did not specify, just said 30 gallons. I just cant imagine how he kept three adult males together in such a small space without them getting killed. I haven't heard from the guy today. Hopefully he shows up tomorrow. *Fingers crossed*

punkrockprincess

Hatchling Member
oh my. I felt sick just reading that...more and more these days I find that people do not understand how to care for dragons. I cannot BELIEVE that that dragon isn't dead yet seeing as he's being kept in such a small tank with a male. I would buy the dragon and then direct the seller to this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom