Help with new bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3HUNNA

On Friday night, I got a 3 year old male bearded dragon. Since I've gotten him he's eaten three times. He seemed fine yesterday but today he isn't moving much, and after I misted him he wouldn't eat and still won't. I thought he might be constipated, so I gave him a bath, but nothing. I have kind of been getting him out a lot, so maybe I should leave him alone and let him get used to his new home? How long should I wait? Any advice?

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
As Destiny suggested, likely relocation stress. Some dragons experience it, some don't.
It is common for a dragon in a new place to hide and sleep for a while, refuse food, or act skittish or aggressive when being handled.
It can also upset their tummies and cause diarrhea as you mentioned in another post.

Older dragons also might not eat as frequently as younger ones, some prefer to only eat once a day, and there are quite often days where my guys totally ignore their salads for no good reason. Older dragons require more greens and less bugs, too, so he might not be as eager to hunt as he is for a yummy salad. Some dragons lose interest in certain foods as well, and it's not uncommon for them to just start refusing to eat crickets in favor of worms, etc.
Just keep offering fresh food, and he'll eat when he's hungry. If he stops eating completely for more than a few days, that is cause for concern.

It might be a good idea to give him some space and let him get used to his new surroundings.
Talking to him and petting him when you offer food is great, but try not to handle him too much until after he's started showing interest in exploring, as it might be overwhelming.

Seems like you're doing an amazing job trying to learn as much as you can!
Keep us updated!!

3HUNNA

Original Poster
BlueMorpho":3p49417p said:
As Destiny suggested, likely relocation stress. Some dragons experience it, some don't.
It is common for a dragon in a new place to hide and sleep for a while, refuse food, or act skittish or aggressive when being handled.
It can also upset their tummies and cause diarrhea as you mentioned in another post.

Older dragons also might not eat as frequently as younger ones, some prefer to only eat once a day, and there are quite often days where my guys totally ignore their salads for no good reason. Older dragons require more greens and less bugs, too, so he might not be as eager to hunt as he is for a yummy salad. Some dragons lose interest in certain foods as well, and it's not uncommon for them to just start refusing to eat crickets in favor of worms, etc.
Just keep offering fresh food, and he'll eat when he's hungry. If he stops eating completely for more than a few days, that is cause for concern.

It might be a good idea to give him some space and let him get used to his new surroundings.
Talking to him and petting him when you offer food is great, but try not to handle him too much until after he's started showing interest in exploring, as it might be overwhelming.

Seems like you're doing an amazing job trying to learn as much as you can!
Keep us updated!!

thanks, i think he has been pretty stressed not only from the move, but i have kind of been getting him out alot, trying to hand feed him, etc. I guess i should wait a few more days, back off a little, let him get used to his surroundings, then start petting him, hand feeding, handling, etc

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
That's probably best, though nothing wrong with keeping an eye on him.

I'm pretty sure all of us were just as worried and fussy over our dragons for the first weeks, even months.
I know I sure was!
It just shows you already love him and want to make sure he's getting the best!

While you're waiting for him to adjust, there's lots to explore on here!
Have you considered making him a thread in Beardie Tales?
It's a great way to share pictures and tell everyone about how you got him and tell us about your adventures together.
And there's lots of other wonderful stories of other dragons, too!!
Striker and Eri's is here:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=188970

And there's tons more, and lots of articles to read, too!
This site has been an amazing resource!

Another resource to check out when you're planning his food:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Keep us updated on how he's doing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom