Help with baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The D3 or no D3 is a huge controversy. I think, using a T5, he wont need D3 every day since he
will be able to synthesize a good amount of natural D3 from UVB exposure. You can however,
supplement it a few times a week since he is a youngster then the other few days just use a
plain calcium without D3. Be sure that you only give calcium 1 time per day & not at every
single feeding so it wont overdose him.
The distance of the lighting sounds good & the picture of the tank looks nice & bright, also. A
distance of 10 or so inches for the T5 is great, so if you have reflective backing on the light
fixture then he is getting plenty.
How are the temperatures doing, did you leave the screen top on now?
He is a great looking little dragon! Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

pechadm88

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
So how many days should I be doing the calcium? Is it all 7 days or 5? (4 days reg calcium and 3 days D3) or (3 days regular calcium and two days D3) I’m also going to be doing multivitamins twice a week. I’ve done 3 days of D3 in a row this week so I will just do regular calcium until Sunday and figured out a good scheduled based on your answer.

I left the top screen off but I had to take out his tree he likes to climb on as he has jumped out of his tank tonight...little stinker. Didn’t think he could jump that high...Looks to be ok but just adds more stress to me. Ugh. I keep adjusting basking area so it is between 105-110. Cool side is still low 80’s. I moved his hammock closer to the UVB so he has more options to chose from.

Just at a loss, cuz he looks lighter sometimes and other times super dark. Likes to close his eyes all the time and lounge around. Still can’t get him to eat dubias. They are too fast but when I slow them down they are too slow and he loses interest...can’t win with this one.

He hasn’t shed in like two weeks or so...thought that was strange. these are recent from the last two days.
99213-3023205595.jpg
99213-3662529308.jpg
99213-2786016553.jpg
99213-3023205595.jpg

These two are when I got him.
99213-4919690671.jpg
99213-5328135602.jpg

Still a picky eater. He ate 18 bsf larvae today and I did two was worms for moisture as he hasn’t been eating a ton. Still looking dark. Bowel drops still looking normal.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Lol looks like you having lots of fun the calcium give it everyday I would with D3 read the multivitamins label if it has calcium and D3 don't give calcium on the days you give multivitamins 5 day calcium 2 day multivitamins anyone can correct me if I'm wrong once there adults like A year then then don't need calcium daily but they do when there growing for strong bones.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
You can put dubias in a plastic container like the one you use to microwave you can put dubias in there they won't climb out you can Velcro the container so when you little guy goes in won't tip the container

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We recommend calcium 5 days per week & multivitamin 1-2 times weekly. You can rotate the
calcium with D3 & the calcium without D3 during the week.
They are very sneaky & crafty! LOL They escape out of their tanks easily if at all possible. The
temperatures sound good. Moving the tree will hopefully keep him from being able to reach the
edge of the tank to climb out!
He looks very alert, too. The variation in color just depends on his body temperature. If he is a
bit darker then he is trying to absorb heat & if he is lighter then he is optimal temperatures at
the present time or not trying to absorb heat.

Tracie

pechadm88

Original Poster
Hey guys!

He's looking good today! Active and has his eyes open more than the last couple days. Color is coming back and he isn't so dark anymore...unless I annoy him by trying to get him to eat. I put the screen back on his cage as I just have a fear of him jumping out now...but I moved things around so he has a ton of variation to get under the UV light at whatever level he wants.

Only issue I'm having today is he won't eat much. I've tried BSF larvae, dubias, tiny super worms (I know these aren't great, but I'm trying to get him to eat something) (they are smaller than the space b/t his eyes or I make him bite them in half). The only thing this little stinker will eat is wax worms. I know these are high in fat and I only allow him 2, but these are the only thing he actively eats. I tried hand feeding, putting him in a tub and putting a couple in at a time, tong feeding, but he isn't having any of it. He continues to have a bowel movement daily so he must be eating enough? Just frustrating as he went from 30-40 BSF a day to about 20...today he has had 7 and 2 waxies...any ideas? Thanks again!

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
That is awesome I'm glad he is doing better.Bearded dragons are like that some days they will eat lots some days not as much.I bought my beardie when he was 4 months old the most dubias she ever eat in 1 day were like 12.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing today?
Has he eaten very much yet? The 12-14 inches is ok, for him to be from the T5 since you do
have a reflective backing in the tube fixture to increase UVB effectiveness.
Is he becoming more active?
What wattage of basking light are you using? The tank could be a little brighter perhaps, so
maybe you could consider getting a lower wattage basking bulb & moving it closer down to
the screen so it would be brighter.
Would you like me to merge your topics?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, too. I am glad to hear he is starting to do better. :D
They do love to escape & crawl on the side of the tanks like that.
Be patient, hopefully he will start to eat soon. It can take them some time to get their
appetites back after they have been through stressful situations.
Is it bright enough in his tank, could you move the basking light closer without it getting
too hot?
Would you like for me to merge your topics?

Tracie

pechadm88

Original Poster
I switched the bulb from a 150w to a 100w. It can sit on the screen and gets about 108. So that’s a plus!

Today, with the screen on he attempted to be spider man and cling on to it and low and behold...fell down. He really knows how to stress me out.

Hoping for even more progress tomorrow!

Yeah, please merge! Makes it easier to respond.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Wow, i didn't know beardies had that behaviour my corn snake does that lol I'll grow out of it maybe spend some time with your baby outside the enclosure.and good you really didn't need the 150 at least not right now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is excellent you managed to adjust the basking light. I am sure moving it closer helps out
the overall brightness of the tank. They sure do love to climb sometimes too so he will keep you
on your toes!
I will merge your topics for you also.

Tracie

pechadm88

Original Poster
So, another little update.

Yesterday he ate about 27 BSF larvae of varying sizes. So the appetite is still doing ok, but needs work.
Today I was able to get my hands on some pin head crickets...which he now loves. My thing is, I feel like I have been starving him and I should have tried crickets earlier, but I was so sure BSF was the best thing for him since they have no chitin. He used to eat 30-40 a day and now he is at about 30. Is that good for how small he is? I attempt to feed him more, but he won't budge. So am I actually starving him or does he just have a small limit? I was also told they eat like crazy and he isnt. He's still super alert, active, and pooping pretty much daily and they are large and normal looking. So he must be getting nutrients. He also gets a fresh salad daily, but again is little and isn't a huge fan of them yet.

He is a little over a month old and has only had 2-3 sheds. His last shed was July 17th. I was told when they are this small they grow like a weed. I ordered 1000 1/4 in crickets that will be here Wednesday or Thursday. I've tried dubias, little horn worms (ate 1 out of the 4 times I offered him one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom