Help with a rescued BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

apstyl

I got a BD yesterday and it is a young adult who was left at a local nature center about 10 days ago by its owner. I have a lot of experience with other reptiles, mostly snakes, but I never had a BD before. This little guy is in such a bad shape that I decided to try and rehabilitate him. I took him to the vet immediately and his x-rays showed that he has severe calcium deficiency and his bones are extremely fragile. He weighs only .380 Kg and his movements are jerky and uncoordinated (probably because of the calcium problem) and has a dislocated hip.
My vet gave me Critical care and I am adding liquid calcium glubionate and vitamin D3 to it. I keep him in a 55 gallon setup with a hotspot at 100F and low end temperature at 80F.
My main concerns are these:
1. I have been using a credit card to open his mouth so that I can syringe feed him the critical care and his medication but since he is so fragile I was wondering if other people had success using other methods to syringe feed.
2. He likes to eat superworms and crickets on top of the critical care and I have let him do so, but how many of these prey items is too much for a dragon in one day?
3. Last question is that he only eats food when he can see a movement so he is not touching his veggies. Is this normal or is it because of the fact that he has been malnourished for a long time before?

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to help this dragon.
Thanks

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
1. I hate doing this I just used my fingers but your credit card idea is the best idea I have heard, it's probably the best.
2. After a year old a dragon should have 50 adult crickets or 30 superworms a week. And the rest is veggies.
3. My trick with veggies is sprinkling calcium dust on top and he gets them, but since he probably was never fed them he doesn't know much about them, you will have to entice.

http://www.reptileuv.com
Go to that website and if you can try to purchase the megaray
Let me tell you that has rescued so many beardies on this site from MBD(calcium deficiency) just ask Rosebud.
They are a great source of UV and heat at the same time, I just bought 2 today.

Smid

Hatchling Member
I've heard of people putting worms such as phoenix worms in with the salad so that it moves?? If Smid isn't eating hers I pick up a piece and wave it in front of her or just stir them up and she remembers that they are there :roll: and she'll eat some. Hope this helps

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom