HELP! What is this? a burn?

orangeansel

hello. my 6month old bearded dragon Vito recently had a bluster on his head during a shed. Ive owned beardies before him, and I was concerned when it didnt go away after a few days.
Then he shed, but this white patch has been here for a week now. Was he possibly burned by his light? Is this a burn?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 34

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look somewhat like a burn. How close to his basking light can he get?
I would readjust his basking light distance & depending on the wattage, it should be no
closer than 8-10 inches & to where he can't jump & hit it.
You can use some raw unpasteurized honey on that area, to help with healing.

Tracie

orangeansel

Original Poster
Hello,

That does look somewhat like a burn. How close to his basking light can he get?
I would readjust his basking light distance & depending on the wattage, it should be no
closer than 8-10 inches & to where he can't jump & hit it.
You can use some raw unpasteurized honey on that area, to help with healing.

Tracie
Thank you. I will re evaluate the distance. Vito is living in the viv of my first beardie Ansel, who never had problems with temperature and distance. However, it is definitely closer to him than 8inches away... I will adjust. I dont want my little guy getting hurt again.
As far as healing goes, how long do I apply the honey? will the scar be permanent?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is probably the culprit, the basking light was probably too close. What wattage is it?
You can continue to apply the honey for awhile or until the area sheds to be sure the scales
are all healed up. It is hard to say whether or not the scar will be permanent, it may grow
back normally after a few sheds. The scales might end up growing differently in that area
than other areas on him, time will tell.

Tracie

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Thank you. I will re evaluate the distance. Vito is living in the viv of my first beardie Ansel, who never had problems with temperature and distance. However, it is definitely closer to him than 8inches away... I will adjust. I dont want my little guy getting hurt again.
As far as healing goes, how long do I apply the honey? will the scar be permanent?
You could also try fixing a cage around the bulb so he can't touch the lights.
They are not to hard to make DIY or Arcadia sells some, I think...

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom